Good Sal Interview from last night

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

JKillerK
New Recruit

Re: Good Sal Interview from last night

Post by JKillerK » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Outstanding. The type of coverage the program needs.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Excellent, excellent interview with Sal.

I learned more from Sal than anything else about the coming year than The academy will put out all off- season long in that talk show with Dino Costas who incidentally gave a terrific boost about the Army program than any other independent broadcaster in a long, long time.
Anybody who is interested in Army Football should listen to this . Very informative.

michie29
New Recruit

Post by michie29 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:18 am

Really enjoyed listening to the discussion. Thought it covered a lot of ground and in a relatively objective manner, Was a bit surprised at Sal' strong criticism of Corrigan 's scheduling, which I found to be quite justified.
One thing that the schedules clearly lack is a bit of imagination.For example, imagine if Army played Purdue, like West Point, a highly-respected academic institution, and one which has never encountered an Army team. Or, imagine playing a tradition-rich west coast team like UCLA, which also has never appeared on a BK sked. Or, what would it look like if a perennial stalwart from the South like Ol' Miss appeared on "the field of friendly strife," another outfit that has avoided an Army foe?
It appears that the schedulers are targeting the behemoths like Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. when there are many interesting (from a fan's perspective lower level) foes available, which would more probably provide more competitive, entertaining skirmishes. I second Palidog's earlier post about the average Metro New York sports fan who looks closely at Army's opponent before committing to attend, I have experienced many of the situations he described.To emphasize this point, I believe the highest season attendance in West Point's football history was in 1972 when the schedule included the likes of Nebraska, Penn State and Miami of Florida.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Of course back in 1972, we had a larger stadium fitting 42,000 plus inside AND field seats at both the south and north ends and then we sacrificed 3,000 seats to put in the Hoffman Press Box (for earthquake protection cutting into the upper west deck. ( Has the Hudson Valley ever had an earthquake of any strength? Well... no.).
Be that as it may, I don't think Army will attract such teams like Nebraska, Penn State and the Irish to come to Michie. Hell, even Boston College, who isn't exactly a household name will make the trip.
So, we live with what we got and that's 38,000 tops. Where once we had field seats up to 6 rows gracing both end zones, we now have those exciting end zone canvas advertising signs.
To me looking at those signs, I have not bought a damn things those signs represent and I have seen every game at Michie (except the snow Fordham game a few years back), since they first put those signs up in the first place.
There was talk of increasing the size of the stadium, but where the hell are you going to increase the size? You can't use the south end zone. There sits Kimsey and Randall. You can't use the north end zone. there sits the new Lacrosse Center. You could use the northwest part but to do it, you would have to blast a damn mountain to fit it in.
You could put a second deck on the east side of the stadium but you would destroy the view of Lusk Resevoir and make the stadium look like the Roman Forum.
I think Gen MacArthur was right. When he was the Supe in the very early 20's, they should have put the stadium down where Shea is today. A beautiful view of the Hudson but , he plan was rejected by the powers that be at the time. Instead, they built Michie in an open pasture in front of the reservoir. That was a nice view too for a 17,000 seat place in 1924 but the area now is much to small to attract good teams in today's modern scheme of money college football.

I got an idea tho. Lower the field 30 feet and fill in the area with more seats. What the hell, they lowered Ohio State's stadium, got rid of the Jesse Owens Track Field around the football field and made it one of the biggest stadiums in the US.

Or demolish Shea and build the stadium down there, make old Michie the Lacrosse field.

Now for parking.... Oh forget it!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic