2018 Captains

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
hrm
New Recruit

2018 Captains

Post by hrm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 am

First, congrats to the three that Sal mentioned who were selected as 2018 captains during yesterday's Black-Gold game. Second, I was a bit surprised that Brinson was not among those selected, especially as though I've read in a few places that he's a plausible candidate to serve as the Corps' First Captain. Obviously, I don't have a clue about what goes on in the locker room/behind the scenes, but, from afar anyway, given Brinson's overall record of excellence (certainly in athletics and academics) I guess I simply assumed he was going to be one of the 2018 captains.
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Re: 2018 Captains

Post by guppie58 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 pm

That is surprising to me too. I've been pumped about Brinson ever since he chose Army over Stanford.

In other news, this board seems incredibly dead considering the Spring game happened on Friday. Was anybody there to see the game in person?
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

Mastergate
New Recruit

Post by Mastergate » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:29 pm

I was there some good signs on offensive line, made some really good blocks. If I had to rate QB Hopkins, Langdon who looks really fast.
Would keep Walker only as RB
Linebackers appear ok as does the secondary. RB looks good
Brinson, Christianson, Woolfolk, are some kept out. Couple bad looking injuries which cancelled game early.
West looks lost for season! Nothing really noticable bout receivers yet. Kickers at this point seen some good and some bad last year's holder appears to be absent
0 x

FSUBulldog0
New Recruit

Post by FSUBulldog0 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Really liked the Fred Cooper run that was highlighted on the football Twitter account. Cooper and Walker make a pretty good SB duo to go with the FB stable. It really sounds like Hopkins is going to be the guy at QB with Langdon as his backup and the two plebes providing depth. I think you have to assume Bradshaw and Carter will not be back at this point.

The few videos I’ve seen indicate that the game was pretty physical. Can’t wait to see that continue into the fall.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 pm

From what I've seen/heard/read, it appears to be hopkins job to lose

One interesting thing is that it seems we have really established a "standard" for our offensive lineman and the guys coming in intend to just take over where last year's crew left off. I find that immensely positive. The biggest key for any army teams is simply keeping the other team off the field, and wearing the defense down over 4 quarters (see: San Diego State).

i am optimistic about 2018. I actually think we will give Oklahoma a game.
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm

wpgrad wrote:I actually think we will give Oklahoma a game.
+1

I love to see this attitude.
0 x

michie29
New Recruit

Post by michie29 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:29 pm

While Brinson is a remarkable prototype of the "student athlete," as far as his play is concerned, I would rank fourth of the four linebackers last year. So, to me, the selection is not surprising.
OTOH, I have met Cole Christiansen and he exudes class and maturity. In fact, if anyone was searching for a cadet to be the "poster boy" for ArmyWestPoint, to me he would be a prime choice.
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:56 am

I just read yesterday (I think an article written by Sal) that Cole is the first direct-admit non-Firstie to be elected as a team captain in over 30 years.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:27 pm

FSU Bulldog--

Why do we have to assume that Bradshaw and or Carter would not be around to play this fall. ? Why?

Do you think the administration would have said by now either one way or another what the hell is going on with these two guys. That is just plain rude. you would think that they would let us know by now.

Either they are, OR not, going to be part of the team or not but geez, give us some sort of an answer. Even Sal has no idea what is going on about the program in regards to them.

By the way, if it wasn't for the THR and Sal, we fans would have not known a blessed thing about the upcoming prognosis of the progress of the team post spring practice. The official news about the team from the academy has been virtually useless and unconscious.

Since we buy the tickets, show up and support the team on game days and are very interested in that program, you would think they could be a little kinder to the fan base. But no. Virtual silence.

If this situation was Notre Dame or any other major program in the nation with a total lack of information, their fan base would be in a total uproar. We are a DI program and should be better informed like most other schools to what is going on.

The only noticeable thing I see so far this year is getting the ticket applications out earlier than ever and raising the prices for Michie and the A/N game. I say to them, don't be so damn cocky about this coming season just because the team was some surprising in their success last year.

Besides the home schedule except for the AF game is not much to rave about for a team that finished almost ranked year ago in the country.

Wake up Boo and staff. You, like the team, has a lot of tough work ahead to repeat another good season both on the field and on the balance sheet.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic