2018 Depth chart

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ARMORMAN
New Recruit

2018 Depth chart

Post by ARMORMAN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Sal's blog today reveals the likely 2018 depth chart.
Excellent balance, imho, among all classes. Especially like the experience and seniority on O-line, always, always, always the key to our success. Good weight too; almost 300 average.
Hopkins will be an outstanding QB. Good skill set (especially throwing), good leader. Hope he stays healthy.
Fullbacks are all beasts, and there's a stable of 'em. Hoorah.
Same-same SB's. Walker and Cooper are BOTH game-breakers. I predict that Hopkins will deal to 'em more than last year, 'cause he ain't quite the runner Ahmad was. (But NO fumbles, don't even think about dealing if it's risky...)
Excellent physical specimens on the defensive side too. 275 on the ends, 285 at the nose, 230 linebackers.
Nice skill at the corners and safeties. Christianson will keep 'em motivated too. He's an outstanding leader, as is Holland on the other side.
Hopefully this plebe can kick under pressure, unlike his predecessor.
All in all, very encouraging.
Dook is the target. Beat 'em in durham, and we could be off to the races....

RABBLE
New Recruit

Re: 2018 Depth chart

Post by RABBLE » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:34 pm

All true but I would be a helluva more pleased if Ahmad was back to finish his eligibility.
Why not? Just beats the hell out of me. So the WP folks should end this all by simply stating what the hell is the answer and reasons for what is it. The silence is defining the way I see it. Even Sal can't give an answer.
Imagine, our only beat reporter doesn't even know. Some stuff. :cry:

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:57 pm

Rabble, I believe it was already mentioned that Bradshaw is now graduating with his class in May. Having attended the Academy, I fully support him graduating with his class instead of staying behind to play another season of football and falling behind his peers in the Army.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Fine if Bradshaw can graduate in May but it appears to me he is doing it in 7 semesters of work because I believe he sat out one semester . How can that be that he can graduate with his class in May?
Be that what it is but I don't understand how he did it.
I guess then, we will not know in the end.
So, we move on. We will not be as good this year because of this.
If he is graduating in May, more than likely his first tour will be as a grad coach for the varsity until the season is over.
I'm only surmising of course but if he is a grad coach, to me the best player will be on Army's sideline for the 2018 season with a year of NCAA eligibility remaining. Now that's a kicker.
HOWEVER, the professors probably don't want him to play because the public will think that the academy will become a 'football factory' and other cadets will try to do the same thing in the future playing a 5th year. Hell, every other damn school in America does it. ( i.e. Navy- Nap McCallum and Air Force too.)
Questionable academic interest rears it head again . Gee, just like 1951 all over.
No wonder WP can't fully realize its potential anymore with a certain faction of the acacdemia opposing the football program. Did it in 1951 and looks like the same in 2018. Blaik would have been pissed as I am now
So what else is new?
Nothing.
There I said my opinion. End of story. Burn me again if you wish. I like the controversy.

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Edgar Poe, the best receiver Army has had this decade, was a December graduate and stood on the sidelines last year with the Rabble Rousers. Army managed.

I don't believe Bradshaw sat out a semester of all Academy requirements. He just sat out of football while an investigation was done on him regarding sex in the barracks. Sitting out of classes doesn't happen except with certain physical injuries that require time away from classes (this happened to one of my roommates).

Also, have you considered what Bradshaw wants over the "good" of Army football? He stated after the last game that he won't be playing next year. Perhaps he doesn't want to. Do you want to force a cadet to stay and play against his will? Would that be effective?

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:44 pm

I would not want any cadet to play against his will. End of story if that be the case.
I guess I get a bit upset when a player has another year to possibly play and does not. However, if he is graduating in May, end of story.

I still IMAGINE if he did come back we would most likely have a better year than last year. Well---maybe.

I don't think we will this year tho.

BigNick
New Recruit

Post by BigNick » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Bradshaw is a super player. What other QB has lead us to two victories over Navy, CIC Trophy, and two Bowl wins? We will be a much less powerful offense without him. However, I think the Academy should end the speculation and make a definite announcement on his status. My sense is (no inside info) that the Academy is waiting to see if his academics this semester is good enough to let him graduate in May or not.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:09 pm

I don't think there is a whole lotta speculation. He has publically said he is done. He has said he is graduating with his class. End of story, right? Time to move on.

The legacy of fisher deberry and the johnson/niumatololololo eras is that they reload, year after year. That has been Army's problem for decades. Maybe one good team...and then a bunch of bad years. or one bad injury (e.g., steelman) and the backup doesn't belong on a D1 field.

My point? If Monken is going to have the continued success that I think he is going to have, he is going to be 2-3 players deep at all positions, and the loss of one kid just allows the next kid to step up. we have seen that at Def Back a few times. We saw it at LB this past season. And I think we'll see that with whomever is chosen to replace Ahmad. Next man up

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat May 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I think Monken is working on the depth situation. That takes years to formulate. It's always been tough for anybody at WP to do just that but if anyone can build that chronic depth problem our coach will do it I believe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic