Options, options, options.....

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Options, options, options.....

Postby ARMORMAN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Final thought of the day:

We run an Option attack, obviously, but MAN, does Davis have "other" Options....

For example,

Put Hopkins and Walker in the same backfield and you now have TWO "quarterbacks", meaning you can throw it from a variety of formations or sets.
Put Walker and Cooper in the same backfield and you now have TWO "game-breakers", meaning you can get downfield in a variety of ways; think inside traps or jetsweeps.
Put Woolfolk/Davidson/Holt in the same backfield and you now have a TON of nasty beef, meaning you can smash your way down the field...

Or, you can just run the standard ARMY FOOTBALL option attack, which ain't too shabby.

Nice to have Options.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Re: Options, options, options.....

Postby RABBLE » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Very, very true all these options.
Add on more. Ahmad another option.
You gotta use all the options you can get--ALL THE TIME. ;)

Army Frog Fan
New Recruit

Postby Army Frog Fan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:44 pm

I know there is a contingent of the faculty that does not like football and feels the players are given too much leeway in terms of admission and then later privileges at WP. These people would lose their minds if Bradshaw is allowed to play as a December grad. I suspect there is a fear would be that more and more players are bumped to December grads to get the red shirt year.

But I am 100% in the Bradshaw playing camp.

guppie58
New Recruit

Postby guppie58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Armorman, I thought about the Hopkins/Walker combo when I read that Monken was testing Walker at QB. I'd like to see them line up side-to-side in shotgun and give the center the option to direct snap to either on any given snap.

It seems that the Walker QB experiment failed, though. Furthermore, too much trickery might hurt more than help. (I think Nebraska tried dual quarterbacks on the field at one point, and it failed.)

wpgrad
New Recruit

Postby wpgrad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:28 pm

That old line...if you have 2 quarterbacks, you have none. I think QB's gotta lead, be in a rythym, etc..and that can't happen when rotating. Looking back 20 years, how many successful programs rotated QBs? Florida with leak and tebow come to mind.

Navy did it last year with Perry and Abey versus us, and they lost.

I'd personally love to see a QB take charge and earn the position without question. Then have kell and that other fast freshman on the slots, with our phenomenal 4-head monster at RB. I'll take my chances, especially with our weaker schedule this year. And Navy is rebuilding. I see a good year ahead for us, again.

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Postby ARMORMAN » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:14 am

Not suggesting that we have 2 QB's. Bad idea, and bad interpretation on your part.
What I suggested is that Davis has numerous options FOR PARTICULAR PLAYS, savvy??

2 guys who can throw, 2 guys who are inside/outside game-breakers, or a heavy, bone-crushing backfield.....all different packages which bring totally different capabilities.....depending on game circumstance.....

Otherwise, we have our 'standard' offense.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Postby RABBLE » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Late in a game, down by 4, on own 20 yard line.
Of course you are going to throw in your best passer. The defense knows it and so does every other fan in the stadium.
The only special play is the bomb. What other play is there?
You play your best all around QB and keep the defense guessing.

guppie58
New Recruit

Postby guppie58 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 pm

ARMORMAN wrote:bad interpretation on your part...FOR PARTICULAR PLAYS, savvy??

Well then. I suppose I wasn't clear in my post either. I wasn't suggesting that Army completely changes the offense to having two quarterbacks in the formation. I only said that I had thought about it, since the coaching staff had tried a running back as a quarterback. I was referring to a rare trick-play type scenario.

Rereading your original post, I'm not sure how I made such an abysmal interpretation, though:

ARMORMAN wrote:Put Hopkins and Walker in the same backfield and you now have TWO "quarterbacks"

RABBLE
New Recruit

Postby RABBLE » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm guessing at this stage, Hopkins will be our starting QB.
Since Bradshaw is gone what about Carter? Is he done also??

You see these are the things that should have been part of the spring football coverage. However, the things that could make or break a season were never mentioned. Just the usual news (darn little) was that the team Is "progressing". What that means is your guess is as good as mine. Nothing from the Supe, Coach , Boo, Rich or the locker room clean up crew.
I'm "progressing" too. Getting older every day. :cry:
As far as fan interest was concerned and the news emanating from the practice field, I had more interest this spring in the growth of my new seeded lawn. :roll:

Return to “Black Knights Alley”