Army is Good Again!

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Re: Army is Good Again!

Post by wpgrad » Tue May 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Army is good. And Monken by himself skews the data 2-3 wins, alone, in my opinion. So a 6-win season as predicted by the "stats" turns into a 9 win season simply because Monken is one of the best in the business.

I predict 9 wins. A win over both academies. And a closer game versus Oklahoma than the experts expect. We may start off 1-2 (duke) but then roll.

I also think Navy will continue it slow demise, and I think their experiment having a 150's qb playing big boy is going to backfire.

michie29
New Recruit

Post by michie29 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:08 am

wpgrad:
Think you might be underestimating Niumatalolo a mite. When he was hired, I believed his hiring and the departure of the his highly-successful predecessor would result in a reduction in the competitive disparity with Army. I based my belief on my opinion that the hiring of head coach's assistants very often leads to regression. Witness Army's record in this regard with the record of such hires among Hall, Cavanaugh, Sutton and Brock, with only Hall achieving a career winning record.
Oh, how wrong I was. Not only did KN muster nine winning seasons in his first ten years, with correlating bowl appearances, but in the process he beat ArmyWestPoint eight successive years. He's convinced me that he is a high -caliber maestro, who is very likely to oversee the Middies rise again to a top echelon in college football. So, be careful in underestimating the 2018 Mids.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Thu May 10, 2018 10:46 am

definitely Not underestimating him as a coach. I think there are just a few factors at play. First, I personally don't feel like there are enough good players for all 3 service academies to be consistently good. If we are getting better recruiting, I think that hurts Navy. Second, I think the TV show is a big negative. The TV show hurt Notre Dame, the TV hurt florida state badly (so badly their coach left), and I think it will hurt Navy. Third, I think any coach gets stagnant after a decade. how many coaches can you rattle off out of 120 that have been somewhere a decade? A quick glance on Wikipedia shows only 13 coaches who have been at their same school for a decade. Fourth, count me STRONGLY in the camp that playing in a conference versus good opponents week after week is not a good thing when you are undersized. I think the AAC schedule wore down Navy last year. And it definitely wore them down prior to our game in 2016. And I think teams within their conference will get "used" to the option year after year, improving each year.

I don't see Navy being 3-9. But I think the pendulum has swung.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat May 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Be very careful when you say, "Army is good again".

The last couple of times we said, "Army is good again", we bombed in subsequent years. I don't want that to happen again. :cry:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic