Tear down that..... East Stands?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

guppie58
New Recruit

Re: Tear down that..... East Stands?

Post by guppie58 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:40 pm

Welp. I guess I hadn't refreshed the page when I posted the same topic. I think it looks great!

armyfan1993
New Recruit

Post by armyfan1993 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:34 pm

I think this is a wonderful idea, and to hear that Corrigan is giving it full support and that he's impressed by it is even better. The visuals and renders of what was proposed look amazing, love the idea of having Memorial Plaza as well as having the team run out under The Corps. Will be very interesting to hear what the timeline and cost for this project is.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 am

The michie game day experience pretty much sucks. Horrible concessions, bad lines, inedible food. One year they ran out of hot dogs. How do you run out of hot dogs?

So, an idea like this would be huge

Cost? Gotta be $100m. They are basically building half of a stadium

keco616
New Recruit

Post by keco616 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:29 pm

wpgrad wrote:The michie game day experience pretty much sucks. Horrible concessions, bad lines, inedible food. One year they ran out of hot dogs. How do you run out of hot dogs?

So, an idea like this would be huge

Cost? Gotta be $100m. They are basically building half of a stadium
Accessibility is a major problem. At the Duke game where the crowd was large, my group missed the entire second quarter trying to get from section 14 to the corner end zone in efforts to get a sandwich. The aisles are just insufficient for any type of crowd.

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:16 pm

I would hope that with the new east stands, they'll have additional access points to resolve the issue. I have been to a number of games as a graduate, and I agree that it takes ages to get in and out of the stadium.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue May 15, 2018 8:47 pm

I think the concept is terrific,
A question tho. will the seating capacity be bigger?
Also, how about installing hand railings for the rest of the stadium? Very few places do not have railings on steps. We have been awful lucky that somebody has not fallen down the steps someplace and gotten seriously hurt or killed.
With Lusk so close to the stadium anyway, there is little chance for expansion and plaza to be fit in unless you go up and in so doing the river would be no longer visible in any seat in Michie.

GoBlackKnights85
New Recruit

Post by GoBlackKnights85 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:25 pm

The renderings make the new East Stands look considerably taller, albeit not with a proper upper deck like the West Stands. If it improves entrance and egress and adds a little to the seating capacity I'm all for it. The East Stands are long overdue for an overhaul.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Blow up that mountain at the North end, add a 2nd deck and you got a 60,000 seat stadium.
Put up a third deck on the West side and you got an 80,000 seat stadium.
It would be as big as Notre Dame Stadium then.

Gee, the Irish might want to come and play us at Michie if that ever happened.

Don't bet on that tho!

Now there is the question of parking and road access. Let me think about that one . I'll get back to ya.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I just thought about it. Fill in Lusk Resevoir. (Hell, you cant see it now from inside the stadium as it is.)

Demolish Shea Stadium. Make it a parking area (Hell, have the "little guys" play football at Michie instead of Shea).

Reduce the size of the Parade ground and make it a parking lot. (Hell, you don't need that big a parade ground for 4,400 cadets).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, how do you pay for this?
Shouldn't be a problem. Trump is increasing the defense budget by 780 billion. He could cut us a check for 3-4 billion extra and cut Navy's budget by the same amount. (Hell, Navy doesn't need the extra money. Navy Football will be deemphasized anyway shortly).
We probably wont need an Air Force in the near future either. (Hell, He will incorporate the Air Force into his proposed Space Service branch of the military anyway down the road). They broke up the Army into the Air Force back in 1947, didn't they? Why not brake up the Air Force now? Space and Air are the same thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now road access to West Point.

Now that is where the infrastructure budget comes in. A couple billion ought to do it with a super "Autoban" type road from the GW Bridge right to Stony Lonesome Gate. That will get some NYC fans to the game in a half hour time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quality of Football Product-

Wer'e workin' on it !

In conclusion, They told me a long time ago, I couldn't run the Athletic Department.
Ha!! Move over Boo. This old fart will bring new life into the academy.
RABBLE>

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic