Stan Brock--Option "stupid idea"

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
wpgrad
New Recruit

Stan Brock--Option "stupid idea"

Post by wpgrad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Came across a 2007 article by John Feinstein in which Stan Brock is quoted as saying running the option is a "stupid idea."

How horrible was our administration 10 years ago that we actually hired this guy AFTER the debacles of Ross and Berry, soon to be followed by Ellerson.

I mean....seriously........

God bless Jeff Monken

RABBLE
New Recruit

Re: Stan Brock--Option "stupid idea"

Post by RABBLE » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:25 pm

The only thing that was "stupid" was the hiring Of Berry, Ross, Brock and Ellerson and the hiring of Greenspan who started the whole system that led of the complete embarrassment of the Army Football program.

michie29
New Recruit

Post by michie29 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Rab:
No, the actual "breakdown of the system," as you describe it, leading to the quarter century malaise began with the ill-advised hiring of Sutton in 1991, unless you consider two winning seasons in a decade and a forty-four percent winning percentage acceptable. When he was hired the ArmyWestPoint football program was enjoying sustained success and his emergence immediately began the systemic disintegration, notwithstanding the outstanding 1996 season, which turned out to be quite an anomaly.

wp1994
New Recruit

Post by wp1994 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:00 pm

michie29 wrote:Rab:
No, the actual "breakdown of the system," as you describe it, leading to the quarter century malaise began with the ill-advised hiring of Sutton in 1991, ...
I’ve said it before, and I’ll keep saying it: the hiring of Bob Sutton in 1991 was 100% manufactures by Jim Young. He stepped down and essentially “told” the administration that Sutton would follow him. You can look it as loyalty to his Defensive Coordinator I suppose, but that’s how it went. So, if you make that the start point for the “quarter century malaise,” we can also say it resulted directly from the winning years under Young.

If I recall, Brock was also a quick hire. In hindsight, we obviously should have taken a different approach in that spot, but in that case, I can least understand the reason for the haste.

Beat ‘em!
Beat 'em!

westcoastarmyfan
New Recruit

Post by westcoastarmyfan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Stan may have been wrong about the option, but he works for a Portland TV station, and every year, at the Army Navy game he gushes about it. He is a big supporter of the academy and the game.

rbmarmy
New Recruit

Post by rbmarmy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 am

Suttons claim to fame was he beat a poor Navy team. He was awful, which led to the revolving coaches door and eventually sleepy Rip Van Ellerson, What a debacle!!...Isn't Brock's daughters married to a couple of grads?..Finally you need a good superintendent, Caslen was the real deal, hopefully his replacement is as competent.

michie29
New Recruit

Post by michie29 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:26 pm

WP 1994:
FWIW I can share a little insight to support what you are saying. Before the 1991 season started I spoke with two people, soliciting their opinions on Sutton's hiring. One was a faculty member with many contacts with the athletic department. The other was a member of an Army Athletic advisory athletic committee.
Quite interestingly, though my discussions were separate, both used the same word to describe the choice. The word was "comfortable." In their estimation the hierarchy made a "comfortable" choice. They based this opinion on several factors, including Sutton's prior association with the Academy, his familiarity with the players, his role in executing Jim Young's schemes, but most especially on two other major considerations. One was his familiarity with the cadet regimen, i.e. he would not need a learning curve to appreciate the daily rigor of the players,The second was what they perceived to be the overwhelming support Sutton received from Young.They suggested that it would almost be anathema for the officials to disregard Young's position.
I must say that both these people expressed confidence that Sutton would continue the winning trend established by Young. Neither seemed, at the time, to believe that not conducting an extensive search for the new coach was a mistake. As a final point I must say that in a discussion I had five years later with the member of the advisory committee, he felt that indeed Sutton's promotion was foolhardy, and he had become a strong voice in petitioning for his removal. "The "Drive" changed all that and the rest is dismal history, albeit 1996 was a glorious, though aberrational year.

Armyfan
New Recruit

Post by Armyfan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:05 am

Say what you want about Bob Sutton, but he has turned into a pretty good DC in the NFL. He recovered from his firing a lot quicker than the Army team did. :) :) :)

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 am

I personally liked Bob Sutton when he was at Army and was very pleased to see him do well as an NFL coach and coordinator. I still remember the early morning I opened the front door to take my dog out in a massive snow storm and Bob Sutton was just delivering our Middletown paper.

michie29
New Recruit

Post by michie29 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:29 am

Yes, but the Army team was in "critical condition," when he left and required a complete overhaul to survive, which, sadly didn't materialize.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic