Impressed by Army Recruiting

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
gaetano01
New Recruit

Re: Impressed by Army Recruiting

Post by gaetano01 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:52 pm

gabn92 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 am
Gaetano...those recruiting numbers are about the same as historic norms (at least the past 3-4 decades) and are the same at all 3 service academies.
Navy brought in 56 recruits, so no, 79 recruits is not the same at all 3 service academies. It is 41% more.
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-foot ... 18aab.html
PrideandDream wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:03 am
As opposed to what Gaetano??? Recruiting 25 and only having 5-6 by their Junior year?
If you expect 80% attrition from your recruited football players, maybe you're doing it wrong.
PrideandDream wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:03 am
A counter argument might be, why do we admit young men and women who aren't NCAA caliber athletes?? The idea that every cadet is an athlete exists for a reason and it has to do with way more than just physical fitness.
I guess West Point doesn't want 80% attrition, by your logic.

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:53 am

That's 80% that don't play football not 80% that leave the academy. There are a huge number of Cadets that have graduated that were recruited and never stepped foot on the field. Most just learn that they aren't cut out for the rigors of both West Point and Army Football. Because it is ultimately more than almost anything else you can do at USMA though there is an argument for other NCAA sports potentially. It's much easier to go to drill practice and join the orienteering team than to play football. Lots of guys figure that out quickly. None the less though these guys make good officers, were qualified, and joined and stayed despite how circumstances may change.

I agree with Armorman, no surprise, your attitude towards this issue is part of our systemic issue at the academy of not understanding how important successful football is to Universities these days It's ultimately not about the football players, it's about exposure and recruiting and PR and as much as we all may dislike this term but the "Optics" of the environment. As much as we might want West Point to be an altruistic and ideal place and attract only those that are the most qualified in an order of merit fashion and have only candidates that will serve a lifetime in the Army that just isn't the case. West Point must compete in an imperfect world with other schools that also attract very high level talent that have great ambitions. To do that we need exposure and we need money or even "value" rather. Football provides that platform.

PD

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Let's get this discussion back to the original question...Gaetano is just trolling.

Anybody been tracking Army recruiting closely enough to be able to comment on whether or not we're "winning" more of those head-to-head contests with AF and Navy?

keco616
New Recruit

Post by keco616 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:55 am

gabn92 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:10 pm
Let's get this discussion back to the original question...Gaetano is just trolling.

Anybody been tracking Army recruiting closely enough to be able to comment on whether or not we're "winning" more of those head-to-head contests with AF and Navy?
I believe Athlon Sports ranked Navy's class slightly higher than Army's. Both ahead of Air Force.

24/7 Recruiting had Army tops of all academies. In particular, Army was one of 29 teams to have their highest rated class in the last 5 years with this cycle, only academy to be in that group

wp1994
New Recruit

Post by wp1994 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:01 pm

This is an honest question, not trolling. I do not pay attention to these various recruiting sites, rankings, etc., but Amon those who do, does anyone know if there’s a site out there that tracks the “success” rates of these ranking sites?

In other words, if ABC State has the top ranked recruiting class for a given year, but very few of those players have much effect on the field, wouldn’t that be good to know? I realize that’s a 3-5 year process to get that answer, but it still seems important.

Beat ‘em!
Beat 'em!

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Gaetano--
West Point along with the other academies have no restrictions on scholarships because no one at WP IS on scholarship. The academy can bring in as many recruits as it feels it needs.
Is it an advantage for Army over a public school who IS restricted to so many scholarships per season?

Just ask Ohio State, Michigan or Oklahoma that it concerns them when they play us over our unlimited recruiting? Not a bit. They take us to the woodshed when they play us in the first place.

gaetano01
New Recruit

Post by gaetano01 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:55 pm

It's about the ethics of filling 79 of the 1200 spots in a single class with recruits for a single sport. Surely you see the difficult optics of that.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:29 pm

No, I don't.

gaetano01
New Recruit

Post by gaetano01 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:02 am

A lot of blinders on around here.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:47 am

gaetano01 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:02 am
A lot of blinders on around here.
No blinders. I want a successful football program. If that means we recruit 79 players, i dont care. At all. What i dont want is to revert back to 2-10 losing to yale because of some stupid number of what is or is not an acceptable number of incoming freshmen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic