Non-Army Topic: Navy Athletics Cutting Costs

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
armyfan1993
New Recruit

Non-Army Topic: Navy Athletics Cutting Costs

Post by armyfan1993 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:24 am

Just thought it was interesting to read about their budget concerns and crunch and while it doesn't seem to be affecting football very much based on this report, it may eat into it eventually.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/na ... story.html

rbmarmy
New Recruit

Re: Non-Army Topic: Navy Athletics Cutting Costs

Post by rbmarmy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:26 am

I HAVE BEEN PREDICTING THIS ACROSS THE BOARD FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS. NOT ONLY FOR COLLEGE SPORTS BUT PROFESSIONAL. IT MAY BE YEARS AWAY, BUT COMING. THE ECONOMY CAN NOT SUSTAIN THE PACE...SIGN ME DOOM AND GLOOM.

palidog
New Recruit

Post by palidog » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Totally agree. The model is going to break and, when it does, there is going to be hell to pay

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:25 pm

Navy does NOT NEED 33 intercollegiate sports. For a school of 4,400 , it's absurd.
Yeah, I know every student is an athlete to learn to compete but that very same student can very well compete on a club level or intramural level too.
You do NOT have to go overboard on the quantity of sports but the quality of the sport that pays for the bills from that very sport. Otherwise drop it.
Hey, if you can not financially sustain your sport, what then is the purpose of fielding a team in that sport? NowTHAT makes business sense.
That goes for Army, Navy, Coast Guard too.

The feeling that in all 4 federal institutions we must compete on the same level as an Alabama or an Ohio State. How can we? My god, OSU is a school of 55,000. Maybe they CAN support a 33 intercollegiate sport program. They got 15,000 grads a year. What do the SA's have a year/ 950?

So what do we do? We try to compete on the same level as Ohio State. Now that is just plain stupid. You just can't do it in my opinion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic