Army-Duke football game discussion thread

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
New Recruit

Re: Army-Duke football game discussion thread

Post by RABBLE » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:10 pm

Very early in the game on our one decent drive, 3rd and 5 and deep in Duke territory and we pass the ball? That would never have happened last season. We would have run, run and run. Tonight we looked awful with coaching non-existent. Just uncharacteristic.

Just a bad, bad performance and disappointment.

It looked like a half empty stadium too. An embarrassment to all.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:16 pm

Actually, our coach looked full of spirit but looked pretty upset at the end.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:41 pm

RABBLE wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:10 pm
Very early in the game on our one decent drive, 3rd and 5 and deep in Duke territory and we pass the ball? That would never have happened last season. We would have run, run and run. Tonight we looked awful with coaching non-existent. Just uncharacteristic.

Just a bad, bad performance and disappointment.

It looked like a half empty stadium too. An embarrassment to all.
That play was the game changer. 2017 we run it twice, grt first down, and keep the clock running
0 x

BigNick
New Recruit

Post by BigNick » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:38 am

KFan -

There is no bigger Army fan than me. However, we can make picks with our hearts or with our logic. I picked 35-14 with logic. The Scout Teams success in the last scrimmage raised several Red Flags for me. I am confident that my pick did not cause the fumbles, missed tackles, missed blocks, missed field goals etc.

The offense showed some promise with a more balanced attack. However, our seniors putting the ball on the ground is not acceptable. If you can not protect the ball it does not matter how big, strong, or fast you are. Several of the OL showed their inexperience and were too often beaten in their 1 on 1 battles.

The defense was horrible in all phases. I taped the game and watched it again several times. I was just a HS defensive coach, but I do know some basics. The DL was routinely beaten and the linebackers were often blocked or out of position. The DBs were often just too slow to cover their receivers. One disturbing observation. Many of the tacklers seem to be adverse to contact. Players that arm tackle should be immediately benched. I do not see a quick recovery for the defense in the next few weeks - their fundamentals are just not good.

Another prediction that you will not like. Liberty next week will not be as easy as we might expect. We should win but it will not be as easy as many think. Our offense should roll but our defense is just not very good at every level. I hope they bring some of the good Scout team players who are hungry and will hit up to the 2-deep roster.

We should have an open Corps tryout for FG kickers. I work with several local HSs and I see kickers every week that are better than our current Army FG kickers.
0 x

ArmorDude
New Recruit

Post by ArmorDude » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 am

BigNick wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:38 am

We should have an open Corps tryout for FG kickers. I work with several local HSs and I see kickers every week that are better than our current Army FG kickers.
It has baffled me for 25 years how we can have a school with 4400 athletes but can't find a single kid that can kick a football.

Maybe it's time to give one of the mules a shot. I seem to remember it working in some movie years ago ...
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:22 am

ArmorDude wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 am
BigNick wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:38 am

It has baffled me for 25 years how we can have a school with 4400 athletes but can't find a single kid that can kick a football.

Maybe it's time to give one of the mules a shot. I seem to remember it working in some movie years ago ...
Color me baffled as well. I coach and played so i know that being D1 equates to being a relatively elite athlete. On the other hand, my experience at WP had me around dozens of stud athletes that simply werent playing a sport. For the life of me cant figure out how we cant find 1 friggin guy that can consistently hit a 35 yard field goal
0 x

GoBlackKnights85
New Recruit

Post by GoBlackKnights85 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:09 pm

Everything about that performance had "Ellerson Era" written all over it. Monken hardly looked the genius he was last year. Ohio State aside, our losses last year weren't nearly as dispiriting. Both were close games that hinged on one or two unlucky plays that didn't go our way. This game, though, was miserable and riddled with that palpable feeling of dread that defined the Ellerson era from start to finish. Bad turnovers, missed FGs, atrocious defense, and most inexplicably far too much deviation from the triple option in favor of passing. I know Hopkins has a decent arm but that's not going to help our cause when our entire offense revolves around taking advantage of every down to pick up incremental yardage. One incomplete pass and the entire drive goes off the rails.

It's just one game but Monken needs to prove, in short order, that he wasn't just riding on Bradshaw's talent the last two years. Stick with the system that made you a winner in the first place.
0 x

JKillerK
New Recruit

Post by JKillerK » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:32 pm

When the game was out of reach late in the 4th quarter, we squandered our opportunity to improve on the basic triple option. All we did was pass to no avail and the running game went bye-bye. We could hve least gotten something out of it by running what should be our bread and butter TO plays.
0 x

Usma80
New Recruit

Post by Usma80 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:08 pm

JKillerK wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:32 pm
When the game was out of reach late in the 4th quarter, we squandered our opportunity to improve on the basic triple option. All we did was pass to no avail and the running game went bye-bye. We could hve least gotten something out of it by running what should be our bread and butter TO plays.
Completely agree, and said that to my wife during the game in the 4th quarter. Hopkins was 10-16 before he missed his last 4. During those he was scrambling around, bumping into players in the backfield, his accuracy was erratic, and the last pass was a wounded duck that was thrown up for grabs. I believe Hopkins played well for his first game, will continue to improve, and has the potential to surpass Bradshaw. But the coaching staff missed a chance to finish the game under control, with some confidence in execution built for next week. Instead, it ended in chaos with lots of questions and doubt in the team and fans minds as Duke was knocking on the door of tacking another 7 points to their winning margin.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:55 pm

In years past, our kicking was some of the best in the country because, no school would use a scholarship on a kicker. We don't have scholarships so we bought in a couple good kickers every year, i.e., Stopa and Parker.

Today, it is different. Schools do use a scholarship on kickers because they do know in this day and age when two teams match TDs one right after another, many games are decided on a FG at the end. Kickers are more important than ever.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic