Our quarterback

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Our quarterback

Post by ARMORMAN » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:11 am

Like many others, I really like what I see in Kelvin. He reads the pitch option well, he executes the pitch well, he knows when to tuck and run, he protects the ball, he runs effectively, he's got an accurate arm, and he seems to embrace the leadership role that is important for quarterbacks. He's confident, positive, and motivated.

He's really the entire package. He maybe doesn't run like a bull (Bradshaw or Abey), he's not lightening fast (Perry), he doesn't have ideal throwing mechanics (Lewis), but he does EVERYTHING TOGETHER better than any of them. Mostly, I think he's a winner. He's had that pedigree since High School. Temple was not the first time he put a team on his back with under 2 minutes...…

We need to hope he stays healthy though. The team has great confidence in him, as they did Bradshaw, but the back-ups are obviously not proven. Very glad to see Hopkins pulled in the 4th quarter, but wondering why Thomas (2d string qb) didn't dress for the game. Any insights?
0 x

losttribe
New Recruit

Re: Our quarterback

Post by losttribe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am

Mostly agree but think when he keeps he looks a bit tentative ...not surprising, with only a handful of games under his belt. As he gains experience, when he sees space he will accelerate and 4-5 yard runs will go for 10-15.
0 x

FSUBulldog0
New Recruit

Post by FSUBulldog0 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:36 am

I agree with your assessment. The only concern I see is that he seems to take more hits when he does run. I’d like to see him slip off those bigger hits when he is running the ball.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 am

I thought Ahmad was just naturally gifted in "just missing" a full on contact hit. and he was rarely injured. Reminds me so much of Anthony Johnson of Notre dame decades ago who always seemed to fall forward and just miss the full on tackle. I thought Steelman, conversely, was always getting nailed (and he was hurt alot).

My concern with hopkins is that he seems to be more like trent than Ahmad in that regard.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:05 pm

If Hopkins gets hurt, It will devastate our offense. The B Backs can't do it all. :(
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic