about those MONEY games

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
michie29
New Recruit

about those MONEY games

Post by michie29 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm

For what seems like forever, controversy surrounding Army's scheduling of high level teams has swirled through this estimable forum. Now, at last, the issue has been rendered moot. The jury has spoken, albeit save for what apparently is one dissenting, holdout juror, and the verdict is in. The decision: There is virtually nothing to lose, and so much to gain from these contests.
Witness the evidence:
In his post game comments Coach Monken alluded to the common characteristics of his players shared with the stalwart soldiers defending our nation"s freedom. He emphasized the fortitude, strength, valor and will to overcome which is inherent in his players and suggested that these traits will be invaluable as they become soldiers and leaders in their future roles as army officers. Since the people on site were mainly media personnel primarily interested in covering a nationally-ranked team, Monken's audience expanded to a national scope. Question: Would this have occurred had he been reviewing an OT loss to Fordham?
The Oklahoma diehards graciously stood and cheered resoundingly for the Army players as they left the field. Obviously, this was an acknowledgment of their admiration of the football prowess of the players they had just watched perform. Standing ovations for losing teams are not all that common. In fact, personally I have witnessed in person and on TV perhaps more than one thousand games and this is a first in my memory. Would the same thing have transpired, if these players were leaving the field after a gut-draining loss to Furman?
Then there has been the widespread sentiment that it is too risky for Army players to engage in skirmishes with top-ranked teams because there is a likelihood that they will be injured, and even more consequential, they will be debilitated for their ensuing game(s). This sentiment clearly brings into focus what has to be the most disgraceful episode in service academy football. That event being the thousands of dollars paid to Georgia Tech to allow Army to retreat so embarrassingly from a contest with the Yellow Jackets. There is no other way to put it than to say that was a primary example of eunuchitis. Interestingly, I watched Oklahoma's game with Iowa State and it appeared that a Sooner player was being helped off the field every third play. Somehow, there were no appeals from the OU faithful to drop ISU from next year.s schedule.
Then there is the surprising issue of respect. Who would ever had expected that the discipline and respect of the West Point players would become a national story, because of the impeccable condition the players left the Sooners' visitors' locker room? Again, the magnitude of the game was the reason for what for most was a side issue. Would this expression of such surprise and respect have surfaced after the players left the Bucknell locker room?
Another very important element, particularly from a program perspective, is the impression potentially made on would-be recruits. Imagine the impression made on a sought after player, particularly from that region, since Texas is such a fertile recruiting area for the service academies, conjuring up thoughts on what it would be like playing for this program, as he watched his potential alma mater standing the Number Five team in the nation on its proverbial head. Could the same be expected if said recruit was watching a toe-to-toe battle with Kent State?
Finally, how would you like to be a scalper with an opportunity to get your mitts on a bucket of ducats for the return battle in the northeast in two years? What fun to ruminate on what the take could be.
Yes, the verdict is in. all that's left is beating Michigan.

keco616
New Recruit

Re: about those MONEY games

Post by keco616 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:43 pm

I've always been in favor of the money game, and I think they'll eventually get a W somewhere down the road. As an independent, this strategy is an absolutely must to build the program from a financial point of view first, and potential building block second.

That said, I wouldn't mind a notch down from the power programs they are playing. I'd prefer Nebraska to OU, for example. Maybe Ole Miss as opposed to LSU.... more 'manageable' power houses rather than title hopefuls.

bty612006
New Recruit

Post by bty612006 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:14 pm

michie29 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm
For what seems like forever, controversy surrounding Army's scheduling of high level teams has swirled through this estimable forum. Now, at last, the issue has been rendered moot. The jury has spoken, albeit save for what apparently is one dissenting, holdout juror, and the verdict is in. The decision: There is virtually nothing to lose, and so much to gain from these contests.

Well, Michie 29, I have not been an opponent of money games, but I wasn't a proponent either. At any rate, I certainly must eat my words--and they were very, very tasty as I listened to the game against OK. I just didn't feel we were quite that ready to play #5. I guess I was somewhat closer to the view of another poster who suggested that , although he favored money games, perhaps best scheduled against an Ol Miss rather than an LSU. Unfortunately, the talent level of a team when scheduled isn't always the same when the game is actually played. Tulane was playing OH State the same week we played OK. Much in the paper of Tulane's enthusiasm to play on the big stage, but they got severely whipped. In our game, Army almost came out the winner, but for a couple of good defensive plays in the 4th Qtr. Money games have become an inevitable part of football. My conclusion is that they are much more attractive when you are more ready to play at that level than if you are going to get kicked around worse than the football. For Army, this year's money game gave us a lot more than $1.3. Tulane came back home to nurse their wounds and get ready for next week. It's probably necessary to get kicked around a good bit, before you can go in and actually play at that level. Nothing ventured; nothing gained. You can't win if you don't play the game. As an aside, I was delighted to hear Monken say that if we had scored in OT, he would have gone for a 2pt conversion. That's shooting for the win.

kfan12
New Recruit

Post by kfan12 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:42 pm

While I share the sentiment, most of the recruiting effect of this battle was likely lost to the national audience in the haze of pay-per-view land.

Usma80
New Recruit

Post by Usma80 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:24 pm

Michie29,

I’m not sure I’ve ever agreed with your posts, but on this one - you nailed it. Keep those happy thoughts and clear reasoning while picking the Buffalo score this week ;)

oldgrad74
New Recruit

Post by oldgrad74 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:38 pm

keco616 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:43 pm
I've always been in favor of the money game, and I think they'll eventually get a W somewhere down the road. As an independent, this strategy is an absolutely must to build the program from a financial point of view first, and potential building block second.

That said, I wouldn't mind a notch down from the power programs they are playing. I'd prefer Nebraska to OU, for example. Maybe Ole Miss as opposed to LSU.... more 'manageable' power houses rather than title hopefuls.
And we schedule Nebraska eight years from now and Scott Frost has them contending for National Championships again??? Understand your sentiment but you don't know where a team is going to be in the future. FSU would have been good for this year but maybe not so in a few years.

oldgrad74
New Recruit

Post by oldgrad74 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:40 pm

Michie 29

So well said. When we were losing to Yale it was tough to imagine something like what we witnessed verses OK. I can't tell you how many times this week (and it is only Tues) that people have said to me what a game played by Army or words to that affect.

A1USMA86
New Recruit

Re: about those MONEY game

Post by A1USMA86 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:43 pm

The value of exposure to playing an OU caliber opponent is immense. I had numerous conversations this week on the amazing effort of our cadets and how phenomenal they were taking it to OU. That despite it being a loss. This is the first time in along time we have buzz, and I say we keep it going.

wp1994
New Recruit

Post by wp1994 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:06 pm

kfan12 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:42 pm
While I share the sentiment, most of the recruiting effect of this battle was likely lost to the national audience in the haze of pay-per-view land.
No, the recruiting effect was not lost due to the PPV showing of he game. I’d bet Army had more than a few of the Texas recruits in the stadium for hat game, and anyone who follows college football surely got the memo by Sunday morning of what transpired in Norman on Saturday night. Sure, it would have been great for that game to have aired on a big network, without PPV charges, but just because it wasn’t does not negate the outcome or its effect.

Beat ‘em!
Beat 'em!

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:02 pm

The Oklahoma-Army game was not overlooked here in North Texas. It generated talk and was prominently reported on local sports radio and TV sports reports.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic