about those MONEY games

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
kfan12
New Recruit

Re: about those MONEY games

Post by kfan12 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:38 pm

wp1994 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:06 pm
kfan12 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:42 pm
While I share the sentiment, most of the recruiting effect of this battle was likely lost to the national audience in the haze of pay-per-view land.
No, the recruiting effect was not lost due to the PPV showing of he game. I’d bet Army had more than a few of the Texas recruits in the stadium for hat game, and anyone who follows college football surely got the memo by Sunday morning of what transpired in Norman on Saturday night. Sure, it would have been great for that game to have aired on a big network, without PPV charges, but just because it wasn’t does not negate the outcome or its effect.

Beat ‘em!
Certainly hope you are right...made the sports news on several channels.
0 x

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:16 pm

All the local sports reports here in North Texas and I'm sure throughout the state and in Oklahoma as well prominently reported the results of the game. Army forced Oklahoma to OT and almost beat them. Army did get good recruiting publicity.

It is also noted that Oklahoma beat Baylor 66-33 today. Next week, as Texas plays Oklahoma, there will be a large audience and I suspect at some point, there may be a mention of the Army game and how tough they played Oklahoma.
0 x

Army Frog Fan
New Recruit

Post by Army Frog Fan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:28 pm

RABBLE wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:34 pm
Correct. We can win both games against Lafayette and Colgate but only one will count towards a bowl opportunity. The Navy game doesn't count one way or another because of the lateness of the game. As far as I know Navy has a waiver and if Navy beats Army that game will count.
The last I heard, that does not hold for Army.
My question was and still is, is that ever been rectified as far as Army is concerned. Why can Navy count that one for bowl eligibility and Army does not have the same waiver.

Can anyone on the board can clarify this inequity?
To the extent that waiver issue is true, I would suspect it is due to conference bowl tie-ins. The AAC has contracts with certain bowls to send eligible teams. If they do not end up with enough bowl eligible teams, then the bowl can select a replacement.
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:39 pm

Army is a popular and nationally recognized team for bowl games. Having seen 5-win teams getting bowl invites the past few years, I don't think Army fans should be terribly concerned about getting an invite with at least 6-7 before Navy.
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm certainly not arguing for a return to the schedules of the 1970s (which averaged about two Top 20 teams per season, in addition to other major programs), there should be a reasonable structure and balance to Army's scheduling philosophy, but, in general, I think the program has reached the point where they should not be afraid to schedule anybody, especially if the money's good.
0 x

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:55 pm

guppie58 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:39 pm
Army is a popular and nationally recognized team for bowl games. Having seen 5-win teams getting bowl invites the past few years, I don't think Army fans should be terribly concerned about getting an invite with at least 6-7 before Navy.
Any bowls that don't have their contractual tie-ins met this year will be lining up to get Army in their game. The program's overall record since '16, the "brand name", and the cardiac affairs in Dallas-Fort Worth the past couple years (proving that Army can be "entertaining" given the right match-up) make them quite attractive.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:59 pm

We had a contractual bowl tie-in for the past few years but not this year? Anybody know why?
I still would feel better winning just 6 legit wins instead of just hoping we might get in with the minimal amount of 6 wins.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic