about those MONEY games

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
keco616
New Recruit

Re: about those MONEY games

Post by keco616 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:31 am

oldgrad74 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:38 pm
keco616 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:43 pm
I've always been in favor of the money game, and I think they'll eventually get a W somewhere down the road. As an independent, this strategy is an absolutely must to build the program from a financial point of view first, and potential building block second.

That said, I wouldn't mind a notch down from the power programs they are playing. I'd prefer Nebraska to OU, for example. Maybe Ole Miss as opposed to LSU.... more 'manageable' power houses rather than title hopefuls.
And we schedule Nebraska eight years from now and Scott Frost has them contending for National Championships again??? Understand your sentiment but you don't know where a team is going to be in the future. FSU would have been good for this year but maybe not so in a few years.
I get the "you never know" argument, but clearly there are elite programs, and top level programs. The difference between the 10 win teams and 8 win teams is huge. OU is a perennial 10 win team, title chaser. Ohio State too. Tennessee is a powerhouse on the sked that fits into the 8-win description (and they're down)
0 x

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Can't remember a standing ovation for visitors michie 29?...

Post by ARMORMAN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:09 am

Well, lemme hep' ya.

Wind back to the mid-80's Jim Young era. Army vs Tennessee in Neyland Stadium in front of almost 100,000. Army "won" that game 35 to 35 on a last second field goal. There was no overtime then, but the entire stadium gave Army a standing ovation as they left the field. Even better, the Tennessee Head Coach, Johnny Majors, personally came to the Army locker room and told our players, "Thank God you guys are on our side".

You can't buy that kind of Public Relations.
0 x

michie29
New Recruit

Post by michie29 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:33 am

A-man:
Thanks for the "hep." What you described has now returned to my memory. Indeed, a glorious day for Army football, and one I'm embarrassed to have forgotten. Were you there? Also, it was only a year or two after that game that they beat the Vols in their nest.
0 x

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

I was there in spirit,

Post by ARMORMAN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:51 pm

But the body was locked in E ring of the Pentagon working Strategy, Plans and Policy on the Army Staff.
Worse tour of my career....in command of a LSD.

(Large Steel Desk)
Last edited by ARMORMAN on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

palidog
New Recruit

Post by palidog » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:54 pm

I would rather see Army play an Oklahoma, Penn State or Michigan than more than one game against a FCS team like we are doing this year. We played Penn State close a few years ago, we were respectable against Ohio State last year and last week speaks for itself. Now, if we could just get a few more of those games at home even if that home is the Meadowlands or Yankee Stadium!!!!!
0 x

Army Frog Fan
New Recruit

Post by Army Frog Fan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:18 am

If I had my way, Army's schedule would break down as follows:
1: Premier team (OU, OSU, Penn St, LSU, etc.)
2: Navy and AF
4: Less premier level P5 teams: (Kansas, Wake, Vandy, Northwestern, BC, Texas Tech, Baylor, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.)
4: MAC/AAC/Sunbelt games
1: FCS

The biggest issue with the above is that many of the P5 conferences do not play OOC after the first few weeks. I doubt an SEC wants to replace their annual November breather against an FCS team for Army.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:45 pm

My opinion is that Army should NEVER schedule a HOME game unless it is at home at Michie. If Army wants to play in Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands, let the other team be the home team. No way do we play less than 6 HOME games at our building.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:00 pm

When North Texas canceled their game with Army this fall, we had no other opponent to play so Boo had to schedule another FCS team in Colgate . That is why this year we had to scramble to find a replacement. That hurt us because we can only play one FCS per year and win it for bowl eligibility.

We must win 4 more games excluding Lafayette OR Colgate plus the Navy game. We have 8 games left on the schedule so we must win 4 out of 6 eligible opponents to gain eligibility. Also we have NO bowl tie-ins this year.

We lose to Buffalo this Saturday, that means we have to beat 4 of the 5 remaining opponents. Not easy to do .Maybe we have to win all 5 because there is no guaranteed bowl game this season.

This game against Buffalo is crucial for us to make post season play.

I feel the math for us is not very good right now.

Just remember, the Lafayette OR Colgate game plus Navy does not count, as the Navy game is too late for any bowl committee to consider us :( .
0 x

keco616
New Recruit

Post by keco616 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:56 am

RABBLE wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:00 pm
When North Texas canceled their game with Army this fall, we had no other opponent to play so Boo had to schedule another FCS team in Colgate . That is why this year we had to scramble to find a replacement. That hurt us because we can only play one FCS per year and win it for bowl eligibility.

We must win 4 more games excluding Lafayette OR Colgate plus the Navy game. We have 8 games left on the schedule so we must win 4 out of 6 eligible opponents to gain eligibility. Also we have NO bowl tie-ins this year.

We lose to Buffalo this Saturday, that means we have to beat 4 of the 5 remaining opponents. Not easy to do .Maybe we have to win all 5 because there is no guaranteed bowl game this season.

This game against Buffalo is crucial for us to make post season play.

I feel the math for us is not very good right now.

Just remember, the Lafayette OR Colgate game plus Navy does not count, as the Navy game is too late for any bowl committee to consider us :( .
One FCS win counts toward bowl eligibility
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Correct. We can win both games against Lafayette and Colgate but only one will count towards a bowl opportunity. The Navy game doesn't count one way or another because of the lateness of the game. As far as I know Navy has a waiver and if Navy beats Army that game will count.
The last I heard, that does not hold for Army.
My question was and still is, is that ever been rectified as far as Army is concerned. Why can Navy count that one for bowl eligibility and Army does not have the same waiver.

Can anyone on the board can clarify this inequity?
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic