Sal on the radio

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Giant110
New Recruit

Sal on the radio

Post by Giant110 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:10 am

Sal was on the Dino Costa show on am 970 in NYC early this am. You can listen to the interview in hour 2 of Dino's show via his shows archives. They touched on the team and other issues like the tebuild of the East stands and that the Oklahoma game likley will be moved ... maybe to Arlington Texas as Michie will be reduced to 30,000 seats during construction which will take at least 18 months. They did not say if the 8000 seat east stands would hold a lot more after the rebuild. Someone told me it may seat 12,000 when compleated but that is not confirmed.
0 x

rbmarmy
New Recruit

Re: Sal on the radio

Post by rbmarmy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:13 pm

They built the Empire State Building in one year this is going to take 18 months. I am not part of the Corp of Engineers, but i see no reason if started in Nov the seats can not be done by the following fall. Then add on the other luxury boxes etc. The drawings show where everything is placed. Sounds like we have a contractor who prefers no heavy lifting. Well get another contractor. Is anybody there
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:04 pm

We are talking government here. When is the last time the government sped up anything on time? You say the 2020 Oklahoma game will be switched to Arlington Texas. Of course it will. Consider this another Army HOME game played 2,000 miles from home just like that San Antonio fiasco a few years ago against Texas A&M when it was Army's HOME game also.
It isn't the first time Army had to take a plane to a home game.
0 x

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:03 am

Army may be the designated home team but it is not a home game if it is not played at home. That said, yes, I would not be surprised to see a change in venue for the Oklahoma game in 2020.
0 x

Giant110
New Recruit

Post by Giant110 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Considering what TCU did to their stadium which was blowing up the old upper deck and adding 2 new decks and luxury boxes and later rebuilding the east stands and adding a 2nd deck it seems a long time to rebuild Michie. They have not even said when all this will start. Rabs old fav east stands mens room will be gone which I am sure will make him sad.

I understand they claim the east stands are in dire need of replacing. To me unless they vastly upgrade the seating capacity to about 50,000 they will never get any big time piwer 5 Schools willing to do a home and home at Michie. The payoff ( that is what they are interested in) is too little with 38,000 seats.
0 x

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:28 pm

They can add seats but it is much harder to add access. There are only limited roads into and out of West Point.

I wonder if putting parking in outlying areas (Buckner?) and running shuttle busses would work.
0 x

JKillerK
New Recruit

Post by JKillerK » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 pm

The present upper deck was constructed in 10 months. Construction began the Monday morning after the last home game in November. Half the mountain behind the old stadium had to be removed and then the building began. A number of rows were added to the old lower stadium and the entire upper deck minus a few rows of seats and some plumbing were ready by the following September. They hooked the post fire pumper up to the plumbing to provide water to the restrooms. It can be done if you want to get it done.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Giant110-

My beloved east stand restroom will "ever be in my memory". I hope they save "my plaque" on the bathroom wall commemorating my record of usage in stall number 2. Maybe I should make a request to the powers that be to send it post-paid to my home so I can put it on my own bathroom door. I'm sure my wife would appreciate the sentiment. ;) ;) ;)
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic