No let down. Great preparation and execution...

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

Giant110
New Recruit

Re: No let down. Great preparation and execution...

Post by Giant110 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:13 pm

I hope we all remember under the former HC Army would often play a MAC School on the road and get beat badly. Two more MAC Schools left to play this year with Miami home and E Michigan on the road on that auful grey field.

It will not be easy but..... Army can run the table the rest of the way.

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Giant, I understand your optimism......

Post by ARMORMAN » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:36 pm

After the last 2 weeks, it's hard not to look forward and come to the same possible conclusion (running the table). It's one of the luxuries that we as fans can enjoy.....

However, one of the many reasons that Jeff Monken has this great Army Team hitting on all cylinders is that he shares an important philosophy that Bob Sutton had with the great '96 Team.
That philosophy is simple: The goal is 1 and 0 every week, period. Cannot look further forward than that. This week is all that counts. Beating Buffalo, or (now) beating SJSU. Nothing else is on the table. No distractions from the here-and-now. Look backward or forward and see what could have been or what's possible and you'll miss out on a small amount of current preparation or focus. The players in '96 bought into that completely, even to the extent of wearing "1 and 0" dog tags (of which I'm a proud owner).

The '18 players have also bought in. Listen to their interviews when asked about the potential future. They're sold out on the next opponent, period. Loved what Christensen said in the post-Buffalo interview when he was asked if there was a let-down after OU: He said the opposite. That they had the "Best week of practice all year leading up to Buffalo".

So many reasons to love Monken and his staff and his players. This is just one in a long list.

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:31 pm

For me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, the template for the Army team as we're privileged to know it as now was cemented in Philly on September 2nd, 2016, with that thoroughly @$$-kicking 28-13 win against Temple, and Saturday's win in Buffalo looked a lot like that one (I ought to know, I was in-person for both). I love the identity of this team, I love the potential they're already showing this season, and I genuinely look forward to every football Saturday for the rest of the year.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:59 pm

I certainly remember that Temple game. I was there too. I remember it really well.
It was the first time in my life I ever saw Army win a football game on the opponents home field in over 70 years of attending AWAY games. I am now 1-20 over a lifetime. Been all over the country watching this team lose. It was great to see the team win one on the road.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic