Army's Upcoming Opponents...

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
prairie
New Recruit

Army's Upcoming Opponents...

Post by prairie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:35 pm

The Army opponents to date are a combined 20-5. Not counting the games against Army, they are 18-2. Pretty challenging start to the season.

The 5 remaining FBS opponents are a combined 6-15.
0 x

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Re: Army's Upcoming Opponents...

Post by LoneStarPhan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Hawaii defeats SJSU 44-41 in 5 OTs. Hawaii goes to 5-1; SJSU to 0-4.
0 x

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:17 am

LoneStarPhan wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 pm
Hawaii defeats SJSU 44-41 in 5 OTs. Hawaii goes to 5-1; SJSU to 0-4.
A game that neither team apparently wanted to win. In 5 OTs, the two teams combined to miss 5 field goals. Army's troubles with kicking doesn't seem too bad after this game.
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 am

Yeah...the start of this season was definitely tougher than most of realized it would be (competition wise).

In past years I'd be nervous about the team getting over-confident or taking opponents lightly. I don't have that sense with this team. Monken has instilled a winning culture and attitude that is permeating every level of this team. He will have them ready to bring it in 2 weeks to SJSU...and each week following. If they can hold onto the ball and eliminate the penalties...they can win every remaining game on the schedule.

This is setting up to be a very special season...
0 x

ArmyFan1995
New Recruit

Post by ArmyFan1995 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:18 am

Best thing about this team is that we have versatility on Offense that I cannot remember seeing before. Inside, inside, inside, stopped, outside, keeper back inside, pass, pass. Any one of 4 FBs can carry a game ... think Holt is playing more often due to his catching ability. Similarly SBs can run any which way + catch ... and if needed Hopkins has proven he can run all over the place.

Couple that with the slow burn of the offense and you can see every team get frustrated in the 2nd half ... Oklahoma throws an INT (rare), Buffalo guys were all out of sorts. Opposing offenses start to force things / make bad decisions because they know they are not going to have a lot of time. In turn defenses, this year, don't know what to do - stack 8 it goes outside, stop us outside, Hopkins throws it over your head.

In the past when it has been 3rd & 6+ we have ended up punting more oft than not ... now, not so much.

Also, with the exception of Liberty almost every team has gone right down and scored on their 1st possession. How Bateman can make adjustments on the fly like that is pure magic.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:15 pm

The Buffalo win was crucial for a bowl invite. 3 down and 3 to go. We can not let up. Beat AF and Navy, keep the trophy, win a bowl game.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:15 pm

2019's tentative schedule looks the same, on a smaller scale. We'll start off with Michigan...but then will (likely) play Rice, Morgan State, Tulane, San Jose leading up to Air Force.

All that being said, as I've said before, now that we have a team and coaching staff in place geared for long term success, i'd much rather play Army's schedule leading up to navy each year, then Navy's schedule leading up to Army each year.
0 x

hrm
New Recruit

Post by hrm » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:55 pm

While I know that we can only focus on the next opponent, the way we're now playing makes me wish we had another crack at Duke.
0 x

Rutgers83
New Recruit

Post by Rutgers83 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm certain it was by design, the streak was embarrasing. Front load with tougher teams then cruise with plenty of time off before A/N game to rest and heal. It seems to be working and a good reason to remain independent.
0 x

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:57 pm

hrm wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:55 pm
While I know that we can only focus on the next opponent, the way we're now playing makes me wish we had another crack at Duke.
Too true. I wish I could reverse the order of the first two games.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic