Army's Upcoming Opponents...

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Re: Army's Upcoming Opponents...

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Rutgers83 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:56 pm
I'm certain it was by design, the streak was embarrasing. Front load with tougher teams then cruise with plenty of time off before A/N game to rest and heal. It seems to be working and a good reason to remain independent.
+1
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:45 pm

In my opinion, you NEVER, EVER open the season on the road against your toughest opponent of the year. You open your season 1 and 0 at home by getting "your feet wet" , against an FCS opponent learning the system and experiencing a win. Opening your season against a team like Michigan in the BIG HOUSE, is in a word, NUTS.

Blaik opened with a smaller opponent and mixed in tougher teams through out the season. Perfect scheduling as far as I was concerned and obviously for him and his team too. I believe he only lost two openers, one against Villanova as an expected easy game , the first game of the post cribbing scandal in 1951 and to South Carolina in 1954. South Carolina and Nebraska who he opened with in 1957 in those particular years, were not top-flight teams.

Such teams as Villanova, Davidson, Furman were the chosen foes to open every year during his tenure.

An interesting sidelight and fact that back in 1951, Blaik had scheduled Ohio Wesleyan to open the season and he must have felt that they were too "easy" an opponent, dropped Ohio Wesleyan and filled the spot with Villanova. Consequently, the cribbing schedule took place, decimated the team and lost to Villanova anyway. I bet he thought afterwards, he should have kept Ohio Wesleyan on the schedule instead of Villanova who wasn't half bad back then in the first place.

Previous to that Army had not lost their first game of the season since 1893 against the "powerful" Volunteers of New York by a score of 6-4 , something like a 50-0-2 run and ALL played at West Point.

Army should ALWAYS open at HOME with the easiest game of their schedule.

Another sidelight is the fact that the Volunteers of New York shortly afterward in that game of 1893, dropped football, and devoted 100% of their time to "volunteering". What they "volunteered" for, I guess, I have no idea. ;) I have a writeup of that game too from the NY Times but the writeup did not say, who, what or where they were.

Over the years Army scheduled Tufts almost always on opening day. The Tufts era ended with Army on top with a record of 20-0-0 :P
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:56 pm

The flexibility to open at home against a "gimme" may be a casualty of remaining independent.

While it's nice to open with a win and work some of the bugs out, I don't see it as that big of a deal. Coming in fresh to one of our bigger games of the season without being dinged up is of value as well.
0 x

Rutgers83
New Recruit

Post by Rutgers83 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:49 am

Unfortunately Rabble that was another era. If Army wants to play at least one powerhouse each year it will need to be scheduled early as these conference games fill the season.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Rutgers83 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:49 am
Unfortunately Rabble that was another era. If Army wants to play at least one powerhouse each year it will need to be scheduled early as these conference games fill the season.
For the most part, yes. I think the SEC typically has an off week in October/November, and our game versus LSU is in October in a few years. But yes, for the most part, if you want to play the big money game (which I agree we should do), its going to be early in the schedule. But the good news, converserly, is that it appears we are able to load up our schedule in november with 1-AA type teams and that is a great way to enter the Navy game while they are playing Houston and Memphis and the like

The schedules are what they are. I think joining a conference is a bad idea. So, we are never going to have a perfect schedule and we are often going to have to play 2 1-AA teams each year. But I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. And, my visit to West Point when they played harvard was the reason I decided to come to west point. they were playing harvard (!!!!!!). I thought it was cool. For a kid from a poor crappy small town on a recruiting trip, that was like going to see the superbowl. If Army was instead playing Northern Illinois or East Carolina, i am quite sure I would not have been nearly as impressed.
0 x

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 pm

I think you could get a pretty good rotation from these lists:

Obviously:
Navy
Air Force

Local FCS (pick 2 per season):
Fordham
Lehigh
Cornell
Brown
Dartmouth
Penn
Yale
Columbia
Harvard
Princeton

Group of Five (pick 3-4 per season, this is your bread and butter):
Miami (OH)
Buffalo
Massachusetts
BYU
Connecticut
SMU
Tulane
Rice

Major Conference (pick 3-4 per season):
Colorado
Iowa
Indiana
Michigan State
TCU
NC State
Baylor
Virginia Tech
Minnesota
Pitt
Texas A&M
Maryland
Washington
Rutgers
Purdue
Syracuse
Illinois
Boston College
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Virginia
UCLA
Cal
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Duke
Stanford

Big Money No Whammies (pick 1 per season):
Florida State
Clemson
Penn State
Ohio State
Miami (FL)
Wisconsin
Texas
Georgia
Florida
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame
0 x

losttribe
New Recruit

Post by losttribe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:04 pm

DoubleOvertime99 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 pm
I think you could get a pretty good rotation from these lists:

Obviously:
Navy
Air Force

Local FCS (pick 2 per season):
Fordham
Lehigh
Cornell
Brown
Dartmouth
Penn
Yale
Columbia
Harvard
Princeton

Group of Five (pick 3-4 per season, this is your bread and butter):
Miami (OH)
Buffalo
Massachusetts
BYU
Connecticut
SMU
Tulane
Rice

Major Conference (pick 3-4 per season):
Colorado
Iowa
Indiana
Michigan State
TCU
NC State
Baylor
Virginia Tech
Minnesota
Pitt
Texas A&M
Maryland
Washington
Rutgers
Purdue
Syracuse
Illinois
Boston College
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Virginia
UCLA
Cal
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Duke
Stanford

Big Money No Whammies (pick 1 per season):
Florida State
Clemson
Penn State
Ohio State
Miami (FL)
Wisconsin
Texas
Georgia
Florida
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame

I like all your ideas except I can never warm up to two FCS schools a season. You have to replace one of the FCS schools with a very weak FBS school because you are stepping up the schedule overall and only one FCS game would count for eligibility. I would probably quibble with a few specific teams but the framework is very solid.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:40 pm

I believe Alabama plays The Citadel the week before they play Auburn in late November. That ought to be a barnburner of a game.
I know there are no odds on FBS playing FCS teams but I'll take the points if any are given.
I'll take The Citadel( plus 76) and make a bundle. ;)
If you take Alabama with 75, you lose! :D
0 x

armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

Post by armyhockeyfan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 pm

I love the ACC for Army if we ever want to have a chance at a New Year's Six Bowl bid. You get 4 non-conference games but one of them has to be against another P5 team. Notre dame will also count as one the P5 teams. We generally can compete with NC St, BC, Duke, WF, Cuse, VT, Virginia, Pitt, UNC, and GT anyway. The other teams that are usually elite are Clemson, Miami, FSU, Louisville sometimes, and sometimes even VT. Only have to play 2 games of the other division and 6 of your own division. Definitely woudn't have to worry about a weak schedule then.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:06 pm

My opinion for the past umpteenth time is to remain independent. We would NEVER be beholden to play a set schedule, be a lackey to some league commissioner and to a TV network. Playing somebody different each year holds my interest in following a national opponent and mixing the schedule around to your own liking. Make your opponents figure out your option and not get used to it playing the same teams over and over again.
Besides, we already have a championship- it's called the CIC Championship. It's good enough for me.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic