Playing 2 FCS teams in 1 season

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Giant110
New Recruit

Playing 2 FCS teams in 1 season

Post by Giant110 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Yes Army plays 2 FCS Schools this season. In 2019 they are also slated to play Morgan State and VMI. Very foolish unless they can not find a FBS School to take one of those games. In 2022 they again play 2 FCS Schools Dartmouth and Colgate. Hopefully that will be changed.

They wonder why some games at Michie do not draw larger crowds lol. Unless you are a alum or fan of one of these FCS schools what intrest does any fan have to go see them play?

One game a year vs these schools is fine as long as it is a scholarship FCS school as that win if it happens counts.

They would be better off playing a C-USA ,American,Sun Belt ,MAC or Mountian West School to replace one of these FCS schools in each of those years.

keco616
New Recruit

Re: Playing 2 FCS teams in 1 season

Post by keco616 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm

I agree with the sentiment, but for some reason we've really not been given any inkling about 2019 schedule. There's skeleton schedules on sites like fbschedules.com, but it does seem like its about time to release the schedules upcoming. Unless there's lots of rearranging to do, which may be the case. Maybe Sal can ask the question.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Interesting that the 2018 schedule was released in August 2017. But 2019 schedule still not released. I agree with the idea that maybe a change is occuring. If they are buying out a team, maybe trying to get the money

NCArmyfan
New Recruit

Post by NCArmyfan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 pm

I believe why we are playing two FCS schools this year is due to North Texas cancelling out on a multi year game contract putting us in a scheduling hole...

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:18 pm

The 2 FCS scheduling was due to North Texas pulling out of their commitment. 2019 and 2020 appear to be set. Check out the link below (the dates are suspect but the opponents are probably reliable.) 2021 is still at 11 games. Hopefully that slot is filled soon. 2022 schedule has 10 teams but already 2 FCS teams. Hopefully one of these get dropped.

An unintended consequence of Army's success is going to be that fewer and fewer mediocre Power 5 teams will be willing to schedule them as the games are no longer an easy win. Newer programs like Georgia State, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, and UMass will be easier to schedule at least for now as these programs try to establish some credibility. I think that's why the future schedules are full of them. For them, Army is an ambitious scheduling.

I think that MAC will shy away from scheduling Army as a non conference opponent as it represents a likely loss without the large payment that comes with being crushed by a Power 5 team.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/army/

jgish92
New Recruit

Post by jgish92 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 am

Scheduling is one of the stated reasons that Navy opted out of independence and joined a conference. Army had a strong year last year and appear to be even better this year. But schedules are created 2-4 years in advance. I think Army's scheduling struggles are just beginning to show. String together a few more good seasons and scheduling will get that much more difficult. I think Army will to get a steady diet of 1-AA teams in November and three week layoffs prior to Army Navy. Just my opinion, and part of the good news/bad news of having a strong team.

ArmyFan1995
New Recruit

Post by ArmyFan1995 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:25 am

Doesn't make a difference to me ... follow the Navy blueprint ... in the 1st few years after 2002 they had 2 FCS games on the schedule each year. Which gradually changed to just 1 ... so there will always be 1 but a W is a W.

We are not so far removed from the losses to Stony Brook, Yale, Fordham, the lackluster W against Morgan State, and the near miss against Bucknell that the schedule has to be completely revamped. I am happy to have 1-2 each year that we can actually win. More so that they serve a tune up to Navy

Brovol1
New Recruit

Post by Brovol1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 am

Couple problems with the FCS games. Only one FCS win counts for bowl eligibility, and they don't do as much to prepare us for more quality teams. Having said that, the top level FCS programs are certainly at a similar level as a decent G5 school, and even some P5 schools, so putting them on the schedule is the farthest thing from an easy win.

During Army's "lean years", having a couple FCS games was probably a wise call. Being an independent makes it harder to get games against anyone once the conference seasons start for everyone else. Just not as many openings for potential opponents as there are for Army after September. On the other hand, I think generally schools like having Army on their schedule.

I would like Army to play more MAC schools. I think it works for a lot of reasons; mostly from a competitive standpoint. Generally comparable talent most years. Some MAC programs are stronger than others, but the level of competition is pretty consistent. The MAC has a good geographical footprint too. But the Sunbelt has similar characteristics. I know Army likes to have games all over the country though, for PR purposes.

This year I do have some concern that we have a few too many "soft games". I think playing better competition keeps us motivated during practice, and polished in what we do. We want to be at the top of our game in December. Go Army!

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:22 pm

I would think the policy of playing a truly national schedule is good for the academy. As long as we play teams across the country, maybe we could stop using the ARMY WEST POINT moniker. If we did that annually, there would be no need to put the WEST POINT attachment to ARMY. all regions would know who we were simply by playing teams of every region.
And winning.

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Was there really a need to add the West Point to Army in the first place. Either is fine but every time I hear the announcers say Army West Point it just doesn't sound right to me. Maybe I'm just getting too old to adapt to change.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic