Rankings

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
oldgrad74
New Recruit

Rankings

Post by oldgrad74 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:56 pm

I really thought we'd get a little more traction after we beat Buffalo and OK destroyed Baylor but OK lost ground and we stayed the same. I guess Duke's loss hurt us.

The remainder of our schedule offers no help ranking wise, except for Navy. We can hope Navy wins their Division (which would have them playing their Conference Championship game once again the week before A/N). If they win their division they would have a few impressive wins. Maybe they can beat ND again. And then we stomp them.

Then maybe we can slide into a decent bowl against a power 5 team and win that ending up in the top 25.

Looking over Navy's schedule - they have a difficult remaining schedule and I think if they do not beat AF they have no chance at qualifying for a bowl.
They play at AF, then host Temple & Houston. Next is ND in San Diego at Cinn & UCF before finishing at home against Tulsa & Tulane. Teams in Bold are in their division.

armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

Re: Rankings

Post by armyhockeyfan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:52 am

I thought that we might not get votes if we won at Buffalo. I don't understand why Hawaii can get as many votes as Duke, 1, but we don't get any. EMU is a sleeper and I bet they are 5-3 when we play them. Duke will eventually reenter the top 25 and that may help. Hawaii can get ranked if wins at BYU in a few weeks. You're right, nothing to really help until Navy. Just have to blow teams out until then.

losttribe
New Recruit

Post by losttribe » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:33 am

Here is where the Oklahoma PPV really hurt. Syracuse got a lot of votes pushing Clemson and their third string QB in a nationally televised afternoon game. The difference between Army and 'Cuse so far this season is minimal (the Orange are 4-1 but this year's FSU much worse than Duke). Even if able to win out, hard to see Army getting poll recognition until bowl season.

ArmyFan1995
New Recruit

Post by ArmyFan1995 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:17 am

I don't expect much from the AP Poll .... I don't even give it much credit. Too much bias -- look no further than the credit they give to UCF ... who has the longest current winning streak in the NCAA.

Unless we ever go undefeated or 12-1 very little chance to be ranked there.

Most opponents fan boards always have us as a "winnable" game ... SJSU (0-4) has us more or less chalked up as a W for SJSU.

Go 10-3 or 11-2 (only potential loss I see is to Eastern Michigan) and I bet we would be ranked in the coaches poll.

Brovol1
New Recruit

Post by Brovol1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:28 am

EMU and Miami are "potential" losses, but I like our chances. Air Force and Navy are both at least potential losses. Both play in very good conferences, and have consistently quality teams. Anyone who takes either of those games for granted is making a mistake.

The problem with our schedule this year is that there are only a few teams who will likely have strong seasons themselves, and we already lost to two of them. Nevertheless, if we run it out with wins the rest of the way, I bet we end up in the top 25 somewhere.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 pm

In the Amway Poll of coaches, we lost 3 of our four points this past weekend because we did not play. I guess we have to play 15 straight weeks to keep what we had. :(

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:47 am

If Army continues to win the games they should (which is every game left on the schedule), and their only losses are to Duke (could be a 10-win team in a major conference) and Oklahoma (ditto, with still an outside shot at a Playoff appearance), they'll garner plenty of respect in the polls at the end of the season. The national showcase of the Army-Navy game will help remind people of their success not only this season but since 2016, but I think if Army wins the next three (Miami, EMU, AF) and looks pretty good doing it (aka margin of victory), they might get in the one of the Top 25s before the end of the year. Navy's been ranked in Oct./Nov. the past few years; it could happen for Army, too.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Army is 4-2 and we got creamed by Duke. We don't deserve to be the in the top 25 currently. We deserve to be about 40th-45th, which is where I see us ranked. If we beat Navy and win our bowl game and end the year 11-2, yes, of course we deserve to be ranked. But thats a looooong ways away

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:39 pm

I look at Notre Dame. They go from 5th to 4th beating a poor Pitt team who stayed with the Irish until 5 minutes to go and were beating them.
When was the last time ANY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY JUMPED OVER THE POLL RANKING AGAINST NOTRE DAME no matter how poor or disappointing they played in their last game?
The answer?
Never in a million years!
Usually, if they ever lose a game, they drop one place. When they win, they jump six.

The luck of the Irish?
Nope.
It's called RANK BIAS!

armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

Post by armyhockeyfan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 pm

As much as I hate to say it, ND is a different team under their new qb. When the conference championships come around and teams have more quality wins, ND will not have as good of a resume as the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and ACC champions. Don't worry though because one of these close games they will lose. They have had close ones with Ball State, Vandy, Pitt, and Michigan. But they did blow out Stanford, WF, and VT.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic