Talent Upgrade

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyFan1995
New Recruit

Talent Upgrade

Post by ArmyFan1995 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 am

Never one to look down upon prior teams and certainly not doing that now but if you watch game highlights from 2014 - 2015 compared to now the talent upgrade is unbelievably more than I thought

prairie
New Recruit

Re: Talent Upgrade

Post by prairie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 am

ArmyFan1995 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 am
...the talent upgrade is unbelievably more than I thought
No doubt. And the coaching staff gets the most out of the talent pool Linebackers converted to FB are just the most visible example of the coaching staffs ability to put the talent on the field where they are needed.

Brovol1
New Recruit

Post by Brovol1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:15 am

And, the more Army wins, the better the talent we be coming in. They key is keeping this coaching staff. Playing the type of offense we do will somewhat limit the number of schools interested in Monken, but there will be suitors. I think he likes it here, but that is also true with other successful coaches who leave for higher profile of more cash. In the meantime we need to work towards making Army the top academy football program.

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 am

I hate to agree but this is very true. The recruiting that Monken has done has been heavy and strong and continues. Obviously, winning makes the sell a little easier but it is still a relentless game and the competition is fierce. We aren't just giving up and letting good players walk away and go to Air Force or worse Navy like we did under Ellerson. I never thought Ellerson's schemes or game day calls were that horrific like Berry's were but his talent and depth, development, and worst of all the lacsadasical culture really cost him. Monken has turned the tide on all of those fronts plus upgraded the schemes particularly on Defense. Batemen was fantastic at Ball State and we saw that when Ellerson was here. He has been fantastic for us as well. Even though only having to be exposed for about 15 minutes helps you look like a genius too!

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:24 am

Commentators on saturday discussed the “eye test” as players walked around and warmed up and mentioned the exact sane thing. Way different look compared to a few years ago

wp1994
New Recruit

Post by wp1994 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:36 pm

Coach Monken also made some significant changes behind the scenes in recruiting. It’s been discussed here before, but briefly speaking, he has a small group of “non-coaches” who can handle some of the research tasks, file management, and on-post hosting / tour guide stuff. That allows him to keep coaches more focused on coaching, and then allows those assistant coaches to leave better prepared when they do go on the off-post recruiting trips.

This is very similar to how Power 5 schools organize their football offices. The difference here is that JM said “this is what I need...” and then got it. It’s obviously helping!

Beat ‘em!
Beat 'em!

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:04 pm

As much faith as I had in Monken and the regime as a whole when he took over, I never imagined the Army team in my lifetime taking a CFB Playoff caliber team to OT in their own building (and having a legit chance to beat 'em even before then). I figured last year would be as good as it got for a while but this year is blowing me away already, despite the bummer in Durham to start the year. The upgrade is very real.

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:47 pm

I get the sense this team is just picking up steam as the season rolls along. I'm pretty sure the score would be different if we played Duke again this weekend...the turnovers and chop block penalties are what killed Army's chances that weekend. Army has really turned the corner on both and drastically minimized those mistakes.

This team has a shot at doing something really special this year. If they keep focused, minimize mistakes and keep doing what they're doing 10-2 is attainable.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:52 pm

I agree but I always get a kick out of the defensive backfield when the announcer that a player made a great play because he "read his eyes."

If you can see a players eyes 20 yards away, you got very good eyesight! ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic