Jeff Monken Attracting Big Attention

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
guppie58
New Recruit

Jeff Monken Attracting Big Attention

Post by guppie58 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Even despite the stigma of the triple option, it seems that some are really liking what they see from Jeff Monken. I just came across this article from last week:
https://throughthephog.com/2018/09/25/j ... -football/

I hope he loves Army as much as he seems to, and that he stays for life. I hope Army can make it worth his while.

losttribe
New Recruit

Re: Jeff Monken Attracting Big Attention

Post by losttribe » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks for posting. The article, though, is pretty funny..."we have good runners...we should get Coach Monken and install the option." Pretty well thought out 😊.

ArmyFan1995
New Recruit

Post by ArmyFan1995 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:32 pm

He's not going anywhere ... ton of articles about how other teams do not want to take a chance on a triple option coach. Which is why Coach N only had a shot at BYU ... He was close to Arizona until their "star" QB tweeted that he didn't come to play in the TO

It's Bateman I'm worried about

USMA80C1
New Recruit

Post by USMA80C1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:32 pm

I remember going to the Army game at Kent State during Coach Monken's first or second year. My impression at that time was that he seemed detached, wasn't fiery enough to get the players fired up, maybe wasn't a disciplinarian. Boy, was I wrong.

Watching him these past two or three years, it's clear that he sets the bar pretty high. When he gives one of those quick little interviews as he heads into the locker room before halftime, he pulls no punches about the team's performance. He'll be blunt in his assessment.

Earl Blaik will probably always be at the pinnacle of Army coaches. In the modern era, though, Monken deserves at least to be listed with Young and Sutton as coaches that got the most out of their teams and made them competitive with anyone. At the press conference after the Oklahoma game, I liked how he was complimentary of OK, praised our team's effort, but his disappointment at losing was palpable. That expectation of victory, of never wanting anything less, of refusing to accept anything less, is something many of our more recent coaches have lacked. He respects our traditions of excellence, but isn't intimidated by them, and expects our players to live up to them.

I think that Coach Monken is quite happy where he is, and I expect many more years of outstanding football under him.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:16 pm

I thinking keeping bateman is as important as keeping monken. Well almost as important. I hope Army pays what is necessary

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 pm

I too truly hope Monken stays.

I really should start with this...I hope our Administration makes it worth his while to stay. Pay the man and pay his staff!!!

FIRST AND FOREMOST! PAY THEM TO STAY!

We all know that West Point is a great place to be. The players are exceptional and the people you are surrounded by are top notch. Some of the best you could ever ask for. West Point won't expect you to win the National Title. But if you can make a bowl. Win more than you lose and beat your rivals more often than you lose to them you can stay an awful long time! That and a high level of pay would be enough I would think for Monken to stay a long long time. I would hope the coordinators would stay a while too but you never know what they aspire too. Davis and Batemen are both really Key and Davis has been with Monken for a long time.

One thing I think is safe....Monken isn't leaving for Kansas. That program doesn't offer anything for him to leave. He may leave for more money at some point but not to a program like Kansas. It will be somewhere where he can compete and win. Kansas doesn't offer any kind of competitive advantage. Kansas needs him more than he needs Kansas.

PD

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 pm

PrideandDream wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 pm
I too truly hope Monken stays.

I really should start with this...I hope our Administration makes it worth his while to stay. Pay the man and pay his staff!!!

FIRST AND FOREMOST! PAY THEM TO STAY!

We all know that West Point is a great place to be. The players are exceptional and the people you are surrounded by are top notch. Some of the best you could ever ask for. West Point won't expect you to win the National Title. But if you can make a bowl. Win more than you lose and beat your rivals more often than you lose to them you can stay an awful long time! That and a high level of pay would be enough I would think for Monken to stay a long long time. I would hope the coordinators would stay a while too but you never know what they aspire too. Davis and Batemen are both really Key and Davis has been with Monken for a long time.

One thing I think is safe....Monken isn't leaving for Kansas. That program doesn't offer anything for him to leave. He may leave for more money at some point but not to a program like Kansas. It will be somewhere where he can compete and win. Kansas doesn't offer any kind of competitive advantage. Kansas needs him more than he needs Kansas.

PD
I hope monken never leaves. But $4 million a yr at kansas versus $1m at west point, over a 7 year contract, is life changing/family generation changing money. At some point, army donors will need to step up if monkens success continues. Salaries are crazy--Purdue is paying their coach $3.8 million. Purdue!!?? This isnt 2005 salaries anymore. Tv money in power 5 has changed everything. Army needs to keep up or its no loner apples versus apples. My guess is a coach like Monken would love to go to a power 5 school to prove his system works, which was the same motivation that paul johnson had going to Ga Tech.
Last edited by wpgrad on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 pm

PrideandDream wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 pm
West Point won't expect you to win the National Title. But if you can make a bowl. Win more than you lose and beat your rivals more often than you lose to them you can stay an awful long time!
I'm going to go out on a limb and talk a little bit crazy............

Interestingly enough, I remember Monken in an interview saying his goal is to have Army be the best team in college football and to become the national champions again. I think it was in his first season and I chuckled at the time. Most still probably chuckle now, except for him and the team.

I genuinely believe he was 100% serious with that comment, and anything less than being the absolute best is not enough for him. Seeing that Army just went toe-to-toe with a probable playoff team was a dose of reality at what he's doing with this program.

Unfortunately, our current scheduling makes it impossible to make the playoffs even with an undefeated schedule. Look at the lack of respect UCF continues to get because of their conference. The fact that Army got no more attention in polls after beating an undefeated Buffalo, and that teams like Hawaii who have lost to Army are getting votes. Army's very far from being a perennially ranked team.

Imagine in a decade, though, if he is still here. Imagine if Army continues to win and improve, and recruits get better and better. Schedules will get tougher, the team will get better, and Army could become a powerhouse again. They have the history and the tradition. The Academies DO have some advantages over every other school in the nation including discipline, teamwork, and leadership.

I know I'm probably sounding crazy, but I wouldn't doubt for one second that Jeff Monken doesn't have a genuine goal of winning the National Championship someday. He will tell you that he's focused on becoming 1-0 every week, but a man like him has long term goals and that's certainly one of them. Something that's a mere pipedream to us fans is a genuine goal to a coach like Monken.

ArmyFan1995
New Recruit

Post by ArmyFan1995 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:50 am

This is why Bateman is the only one who has potential to leave

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 456619002/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic