Jeff Monken Attracting Big Attention

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

keco616
New Recruit

Re: Jeff Monken Attracting Big Attention

Post by keco616 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:47 am

Bateman is too good of a coach, he won't last long.

He'll nearly triple his salary in a Power 5 conference

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:25 am

keco616 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:47 am
Bateman is too good of a coach, he won't last long.

He'll nearly triple his salary in a Power 5 conference
He will likely make more in a power 5 as a DC than monken will as head coach at Army.

Keeping the coaches is critical for long term success. Hopefully a big focus of Boo is to have a substantial increase in the pool of coach's money, not just for Monken but also for his assistants. Bateman has done such a wonderful job

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:04 pm

I want RABBLE (me) if anybody leaves. I work cheap. ;)

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:28 pm

WPGRAD....take another look at salaries and reevaluate your thought process.

1st you won't see $4M a year at Kansas. It's at $1.7M right now. And that's a lot to give up to go an absolute bottom feeder of a program that prioritizes basketball first and start over. An extra $700k for 4 years ain't gonna be life altering.

2nd there are about 25 schools out of 130 that pay over $4M and then about another 20 that pay over $3M.

3rd we don't have to close the gap too much between the $1M mark and $2M and lock him in long term and then keep pace to keep him around I wouldn't think to stay competitive. We probably need to get him to $2M as quickly as we can though and then $2.5M assuming we keep playing the way we do. And move the assistants along nicely as well especially the coordinators.

Here's the link that came out today on the salaries:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:03 pm

For the most part, I agree with you. If Army can get Monken to 2m to 2.5m, relatively quickly, then no I don't think he is going anywhwere. If they keep him in the 1.0 to 1.2 range, then yes, I think he leaves for a job that pays $1m or $1.5m a year more. Thats alot of money, especially over a 5-7 year contract. There are over 60 coaches on that list making $2.0 million or more. Thats a million bucks a year more, which, over life of the contract, is alot of darn money. Would you change your job for an extra million a year?

it also has to do with pool money, as well. These coaches are friends. if they raise monken's salary but keep the rest of the assistant money low, then monken might leave to bring his OC/DC with him at a higher pay.

You are also making the assumption that kansas wont' pony up if they fire their current guy. I think they will (and I actually know someone directly involved with their program)

I hope he stays for the next 20 years. But at some point, most likely very soon, Army is going to have to raise his salary a pretty good amount if he keeps up his current success. Whether its kansas or Ga Tech or whomever.

For 15 years I've said this is not hard, just do what navy has been doing. Well, right now if you believe the number, navy is paying their coach over 100% more than we pay our coach.

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Yep. I agree with all of that. I just hate Kansas as your example. No way on earth he leaves us for Kansas. If he does that then he's not nearly as smart as I think he is. Even if it is a few million more a year. And to answer your question. I wouldn't leave my job for an extra million or couple million a year to go to Kansas. I'm certain of one thing, Kansas couldn't raise enough money to make me the football coach there. A lot of places could but not Kansas. You talk about a black hole when it comes to lack of success. You take out the Mangino years and it would be hard to recruit to Kansas. There is just nothing to sell.

ClassVI
New Recruit

Post by ClassVI » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:34 am

Hopefully this link works. Coach Monken and Coach N were both mentioned in this USA Today article.

College Football Insider: Head coaches who could make the coaching carousel spin

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 524761002/

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:47 pm

We are fairly safe in keeping Coach Monken here at WP. There are few programs that want an option coach and much less 5 star athletes who want to be coached by an option guy. It is simply because no pro team would ever switch to an option style of play. No 4-5 star talent on your team as a result, would pretty much spell disaster to anyone's program and the coach who installs it.
If I was a sure-fire 5 star guy destined for the pros, an SA would probably be my last choice for a college.

ClassVI
New Recruit

Post by ClassVI » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 am

Bowling Green recently fired their head coach, and Bruce Feldman from Fox Sports tweeted Jay Bateman as a possible replacement for the vacancy. There were others on Feldman’s list from Notre Dame, Miss St, WVU, and Fresno St., but Bateman just happens to be the first coach mentioned.

I agree with previous posters. We need to pay him more, and soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic