Will Todd Berry Ever Go Away?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyFan1995
New Recruit

Will Todd Berry Ever Go Away?

Post by ArmyFan1995 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:59 am

Cut blocks (blocks below the waist from the defender's front side) are no longer allowed outside of five yards from the line of scrimmage, a change that was made this spring in the interest of player safety, according to Todd Berry, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. The NCAA did not publish data that backed up those safety concerns, but it did release a survey of FBS coaches that found a split in their opinions on blocks below the waist 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Re: Will Todd Berry Ever Go Away?

Post by RABBLE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Todd Berry reminds me of Frankenstein. A figment of the movies and a horror to us all! :D :D :D

Probably a nice guy but I do know one thing. He could not coach football as a winner.
0 x

USMA76
New Recruit

Post by USMA76 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:58 pm

Todd Berry is the assclown who (as president of the organization) approved the awarding of the AFCA national championship in to Oklahoma State for 1945. Forget the fact that the AFCA didn't even exist until the early 1950s. Oklahoma State's mega-booster/billionaire T. Boone Pickens wrote a massive check and Berry jumped at the chance to stick it to Army. Oklahoma State is so needy and pathetic that they actually hang a banner in their east (?) end zone (yeah, it's OSU s0 their field runs east to west...smh). Every time I see that banner I get nauseous at the stupidity of it all.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Oklahoma State had Herman Wedemeyer.

Army had Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard.

The 1945 Army team is arguably considered the greatest football team in college football history playing one of the toughest schedules in the country.

Who did Oklahoma State play in 1945? Denver they beat by 5 points and Tulsa by 6. Some powerhouse schools by the way. Some national champions. ;)
0 x

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:57 pm

RABBLE wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:48 pm
Todd Berry reminds me of Frankenstein. A figment of the movies and a horror to us all! :D :D :D

Probably a nice guy but I do know one thing. He could not coach football as a winner.
He finally found a way to beat PJ and KN.
0 x

hiangle6
New Recruit

Post by hiangle6 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 am

USMA76 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:58 pm
Todd Berry is the assclown who (as president of the organization) approved the awarding of the AFCA national championship in to Oklahoma State for 1945. Forget the fact that the AFCA didn't even exist until the early 1950s. Oklahoma State's mega-booster/billionaire T. Boone Pickens wrote a massive check and Berry jumped at the chance to stick it to Army. Oklahoma State is so needy and pathetic that they actually hang a banner in their east (?) end zone (yeah, it's OSU s0 their field runs east to west...smh). Every time I see that banner I get nauseous at the stupidity of it all.
So you are an Sooner fan then? I'm pretty good at this google thing and found no record of TBP donating money to the AFCA. Do you have that data, or was it a supposition? I am a USMA grad and an OSU fan. We all know that Army was the true national champion in 45, but why the need to mock a program that has achieved at a significantly higher level than Army for the past 20 years or so?

No fan of Todd Berry, or the pain he brought to our institution, just trying to figure out the over-the-top animosity for a program that Army has (to my knowledge) never faced on the "fields of friendly strife".

Edit to add that Army has played OSU once, in 1962 and OSU won. So perhaps that is the source of the animus. Go Army.
0 x

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 am

Ok here is my challenge with the whole Todd Berry conspiracy theory and Armorman correct me where I go off the rails and miss something because I know there are some facts post Army that I'm missing somewhere besides the awarding the '45 Championship and the new Chop Block Rule change that must support Berry's lust to inhibit Army.

So here is my issue. I just can't see Todd Berry organizing more than 11 people to effectively get something done.

I mean just damn. I can't see him anymore effective putting together a strategy at the AFCA to specifically target option football teams and get people to vote on it. He's not some evil mastermind in my book. But maybe I'm wrong. I see him more like Harry Truman. Like this just fell into his lap and he never knew anything about it. "We have a what? A nuclear bomb?" Berry had to be the same way. Like "What? We could make OSU the National Champions? Ok, I approve!" or "You mean half you guys want to eliminate cut blocks? Well, I guess so. Let's do it."

Now maybe I"m way off base on this one. This guy just doesn't strike me as a master organizer. If so these two wins are more impressive than any of the 5 he had while at Army.

PD
0 x

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Agree P&D, Berry ain't that good....

Post by ARMORMAN » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:23 am

Berry is not likely to have initiated or even organized the cut block rule change; that would have been too transparent. However, he was not likely to have opposed it either. Most likely, as you surmised, it fell into his lap and he ran with it. Why the rule change? That's the easy part: ALL option team opponents understand that it helps them defend the scheme. And it has. Far fewer long runs this year, as you documented in an earlier post. And Why did Berry not oppose it and likely even support it? Even easier: He and we didn't exactly part company on nice terms. I spent a ton of personal time lobbying to get his ass fired, and I was in VERY, VERY strong company. It wasn't just his football incompetence that riled everyone, although 0 and 13 with a humiliating, embarrassing loss vs navy is plenty enough. It wasn't just his inability to organize or control his staff or his inability to motivate or inspire his team or install an appropriate offense (which is not Pro-Set). It was the BS "image" he created for himself; for example, requiring recruits to salute his punk ass when he went to visit them. He claimed later that it was just for "familiarization" sake, but I ain't buyin' it. Closer to "stolen valor" in my book. You earn a salute when you become an Officer, period. He was just a horrible fit for West Point, and after year 2 he knew he was fairly well despised. Ask Ron Shinseki, our CSA, who was the primary recipient of the flood of complaints and lobbying.....

But Berry never got it. He thought he was unfairly treated and he left with very hard feelings. So it's not a stretch to connect that dot with some sort of "retribution" dot later on...which could easily take the form of supporting a cut block rule change that inhibits the program that ran him out.

The "national championship" crap is more clouded. Who started that effort? Why? And what was the justification? USMA 76's theory might be right, but as RABBLE correctly pointed out, '45 ARMY still gets perennial votes as the greatest college team in history. So again, Berry likely didn't initiate the idea; more likely he was happy it hurt Army again, but man, that's really, really weird...
Last edited by ARMORMAN on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GoBlackKnights85
New Recruit

Post by GoBlackKnights85 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 pm

How does a guy with a career head coaching record of 57-102 ( and an even more pitiful 33-78 at the FBS level) achieve such a prominent position on a coaches' committee? This clown has two decent seasons out of twenty on his resume. Todd Berry isn't fit to coach a Pop Warner team. I used to think that he was just the wrong guy for our job and that he was otherwise a decent, well-meaning guy but in light of recent events it seems he really does have it out for us. If the crown prince of coaching futility is leading them, I suppose AFCA is a receptacle for all the washed up loser coaches out there who are too incompetent or senile to get a real job.
0 x

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Excellent question GBK

Post by ARMORMAN » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:16 pm

+1
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic