Will Todd Berry Ever Go Away?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyFan1995
New Recruit

Re: Will Todd Berry Ever Go Away?

Post by ArmyFan1995 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Final thing and I will drop it .... this might be one of the more insane quotes I've read in sports media in my life

circa 1999

"I have never been as inspired by a place until I got here," Berry said. "I expect that in the near future we'll be 11-0. Anything else would be an injustice to this institution."

''My goals are to win, put up about 40 points a game and have fun,'' Nevels said. ''We want to win every game we play. I don't feel any pressure to put up stats. If we win, everything will follow.

ah who could have predicted what was to come

USMA76
New Recruit

Post by USMA76 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:37 pm

hiangle6 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 am
USMA76 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:58 pm
Todd Berry is the assclown who (as president of the organization) approved the awarding of the AFCA national championship in to Oklahoma State for 1945. Forget the fact that the AFCA didn't even exist until the early 1950s. Oklahoma State's mega-booster/billionaire T. Boone Pickens wrote a massive check and Berry jumped at the chance to stick it to Army. Oklahoma State is so needy and pathetic that they actually hang a banner in their east (?) end zone (yeah, it's OSU s0 their field runs east to west...smh). Every time I see that banner I get nauseous at the stupidity of it all.
So you are an Sooner fan then? I'm pretty good at this google thing and found no record of TBP donating money to the AFCA. Do you have that data, or was it a supposition? I am a USMA grad and an OSU fan. We all know that Army was the true national champion in 45, but why the need to mock a program that has achieved at a significantly higher level than Army for the past 20 years or so?

No fan of Todd Berry, or the pain he brought to our institution, just trying to figure out the over-the-top animosity for a program that Army has (to my knowledge) never faced on the "fields of friendly strife".

Edit to add that Army has played OSU once, in 1962 and OSU won. So perhaps that is the source of the animus. Go Army.
Pure supposition but I can't imagine any other scenario given TBP's track record. (The attached article mentions the AFCA's "marketing" via this initiative.) The AFCA put the offer to retroactively award national championships on the table and OSU jumped at it. They were the only school to do so, I might add. Obviously, OSU believed that nobody would remember or research the fact that they finished fifth in the 1945 AP poll. Who could have possibly foreseen they'd be mocked for claiming a national football title 71 years after the fact?

To those unfamiliar with the rivalry, OSU is like the "step child" that will do anything to get attention given the Sooners football domination over them. To give you an idea of the lopsidedness of the series, OSU has won something like 19 of 112 games played between the two schools--with a few ties thrown in.

The link provides an insightful perspective as to what happened as far as the AFCA, Oklahoma State, and college football history are concerned. Don't bother with any ad hominem attacks because this writer has penned literally scores of pro-OSU articles.

https://newsok.com/article/5561230/why- ... ive-titles
Last edited by USMA76 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:05 pm

No question Todd Berry was a terrible coach, but I could meet easily make the argument he was our 3rd/4th worst hire of that era. I do not see any way you could not think that Bobby Ross was our worst hire. You do not hire a 67-year-old to rebuild the program from Scratch. I would argue Brock second because he was an "I surrender hire." Berry and ellerson can fight for 3Rd

Thank god for jeff monken

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 am

All fair points Armorman. I knew I could count on you to shed some more light. I guess I had forgotten that he left on bad terms. I knew you and many others had lobbied hard to move him along but I thought he also knew that was coming and was part of the territory. Didn't know there was a lot of bad blood. None the less he's not doing anything to help matters and we all agree on that.

As for the other posters I might offer this. If you are wondering how he got the AFCA job let's keep in mind this isn't a merit based system based on wins and losses. Hell if Todd Berry could win football games he'd be coaching. No coach worth his salt wants to be some kind of coaching administrator. I suppose he got it because no one else wants it.

More interestingly, I went to the AFCA website and they have about 10 different committees for all kinds of stuff. One of which is the rules committee. However, I was unsuccessful in finding a list of members for said rules committee. Which really got me to thinking. Who else is aligned against us? Now we know they had a survey with about half the folks not wanting cut blocks but in the end it was the committee that voted and Berry who approved. But the committee had to vote right? Makes me wonder how many MWC, ACC, or Conf USA coaches are on that committee. Then again maybe there aren't any significant names on the committee but they are connected closely to some of the teams we all play like Duke or Hawaii or San Diego St of which AF, Navy, Army, and GA Tech all played in the last two years. In other words the conspiracy might be a little bigger than we think and a little wider spread. But maybe the real impetus is the fact that Tulsa plays Navy in the AAC every year and that is also Berry's Alma Mater?? Hmmm. Surely couldn't help matters I wouldn't think.

Lastly, WPGRAD I have to vehemently disagree with you that Todd Berry is the 3rd or 4th worst coach. That's just not possible. He is atrocious. I get you didn't like Ross and I understand your point about Brock however Ross had plenty of success prior to Army and relative to Berry even in his advanced age won more games in fewer seasons than Berry and did so with no talent that Berry left behind and he did a slough of things to put the program back on track behind the scenes. I agree with you the Brock was a mercy hire and just goes to show how lost we were in those days in terms of the administration. But of the 37 head coaches of Army Football Todd Berry ranks 2nd to last in winning %. Who is last you ask? John Mumford who coached the half of the 0-13 season once Berry got fired. So in my book he's effectively last. He's the only coach to win less than 30% of his games. His winning % is .122. Let that sink in. 12.2% in 4 seasons. I mean good god. It's just hard to argue with those numbers In digging around I had forgotten that Berry's dad was a coach in the CFL and had almost no success either. Interesting. As well I looked up the Tulsa Media guide. Not one mention of Todd Berry. Now to be fair they don't list any Letterwinners but I thought he might make at least one mention in his alma mater. Then I went and read this bio. Now the thing that got me was the 25 academy records but failed to mention the 0-13 mark. And guess he needs to lose that point about the last team to beat Navy.
https://www.afcf.us/?nd=todd_berry

However i echo your point, Thank God for Jeff Monken!

PD

Dude69
New Recruit

Post by Dude69 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:49 am

"And guess he needs to lose that point about the last team to beat Navy." -P&D

True dat!

But let's put his inclusion of "the last team to beat Navy" into context.

By the end of 2001 Army was fully committed to a suicidal spiral that would through the next one plus decade result in the near death of the program. Mr. Todd Berry was a key contributor to this "Dr. Kevorkian" like assisted suicide attempt. There were others on the "Death Team" but none more effective in their role than Coach Berry.

Also by the end of 2001, the Navy football program was at the beginning of a successful intervention to its own suicide attempt. Navy had initiated its recovery program in 2001 but was still very much in a fragile post traumatic haze.

So the 2001 Army victory over Navy was kind of like the out of control addict molesting the sober newcomer on his way into a recovery meeting. Not really something to crow about. Especially when you were a key enabler to well over a decade more of destructive behavior while your rival had returned to sanity.

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:40 pm

That AFCF bio is ripe with almost-unreadable English. Forgive me, but I give little credence to the legitimacy of an organization when they can't even proofread the biography of their executive director. And for a man who kept his "college education" as a top priority, you'd think he would care about his own bio.

A few highlights:
-several head coaches jobs
-Berry coached the Pacers to a top-five finished a Division II passing offense, total offense and scoring offense, total offense and scoring offense
-was re-elected tot he Board in 2010

What a legitimate organization.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:17 pm

" First, we crawl, then we walk, then we run!!"
Famous words spoken by the worst coach in Army Football history-- Todd Berry (5-35)

A 5-35 record would be about, less than a crawl.

armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

Post by armyhockeyfan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Did we ever send in an application to the AFCA to claim that year? Just wondering.

USMA76
New Recruit

Post by USMA76 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:38 am

armyhockeyfan wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:22 pm
Did we ever send in an application to the AFCA to claim that year? Just wondering.
Per the article I linked, Oklahoma State was the only team to do that. Army (and anyone else with an IQ above room temperature) knew who the true national champions were in 1945.

armyftball
New Recruit

Post by armyftball » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:57 am

Maybe Berry will next push to make Army National Champions during the years of his head coaching.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic