Perfect College Football Playoff Systems

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

Perfect College Football Playoff Systems

Post by armyhockeyfan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:52 pm

I like this idea of a 16 team playoff. Every conference gets represented. I would like to see 1-2 bids for independents though.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/276 ... son#slide0

I also like a 12 to 14 team playoff with every conference represented plus 2 extra spots. 1 or both could be independent or independent and at-large.
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2015/0 ... yoffs.aspx

Anything bigger than 4 would be great. Think of the madness of an underdog G5 beating a P5 conference champion! Probably won't happen, but you never know! A committee would obviously decide who the independents/wildcard bid goes to.
0 x

stonemd
New Recruit

Re: Perfect College Football Playoff Systems

Post by stonemd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 am

FCS works well. All the conference champs plus a bunch of atlarge bids. 24 teams I think.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Coach Brian Kelly of Notre Dame wants an 8 team field for the playoffs.

Of course he does. Notre Dame is now ranked 5th in the country. I hope he winds up 5th this year. So close and yet so far. :D
0 x

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Personally I hate the idea of an expanded playoff. I think it has potential to really kill the thrill of the regular season games and regular season rivalries. Look at basketball. No one cares till March. Not totally true but thats' where the big money is. College football is a thrill every Saturday. And you want every game to matter. The 4 team playoff has already diminished many of the bowls. Of which there are too many as it is. And if you have a 16 team play off do you get rid of the bowls? Or keep another 8-12 bowls??? I mean who would really care about those games anyways at that point? The money will likely shift to the playoffs and the TV revenues associated with them. We are likely in the hey day of college football right now with TV and Bowls and a small playoff. The market is absolutely saturated with just enough tiered interest at each level and all the regular season drama to carry through each weekend. If it shifts too far we risk really tilting the tables dramatically in favor of the big schools and the Power 5 Conferences. And even though it's already headed that way I just don't think it needs to be accelerated. I do think we have to join a conference at some point. That is just a matter of time. So does Notre Dame. The last thing I will say is this. The football Conferences must never let the NCAA get a hold of the revenues like they have on basketball. And I don't ever foresee the NCAA getting that level of control. The NCAA is a train wreck for FBS schools and in my not so humble opinion has done more to limit athletes than help them.

PD
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:10 pm

I agree. Part of the magic of college football is the regular season would be lost on an expanded playoff system. look at baseball. The regular season pennant winners based solely on the regular season would make the World Series. Simple as that. Season over by October 10th or so , not running into November. Same with Basketball. We know its all about the dollars. So too the NCAA.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic