After watching the Buffalo game...

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
gabn92
New Recruit

After watching the Buffalo game...

Post by gabn92 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 am

I had a chance the other night to go back and actually watch the Buffalo game---was travelling Saturday and only able to catch snippets on my phone in between flights.

An impressive win for Army, but I was very impressed with how the team responded in the 1st and 3rd quarters to adversity. The game really couldn't have started out much worse for Army:

--Buffalo scores quickly and easily
--Army turns it over with an interception
--Army D comes up with a stop, only to get a personal foul (roughing the kicker) on the punt to allow Buffalo to keep the ball

This kind of start could have led to disaster...and in past year's probably would have. But this team didn't flinch. The D rose up and got another stop and then the offense took over.

Similar story in the second half:

--Army offense gets stopped on opening drive (3 and out I think)
--Buffalo promptly goes down and scores to bring the game to 21 - 13...right back into it

Momentum could have swung in Buffalo's favor, but again this team didn't flinch. The offense took over and the defense never let Buffalo get close to scoring again.

And this was all against a very good Buffalo team that will likely be in a bowl game and has a shot at the MAC title this year.

Those sequences of plays speak volumes to me about the mindset, confidence and culture that Monken has instilled in this team.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Re: After watching the Buffalo game...

Post by RABBLE » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:02 pm

After today, Buffalo now rests at 5-1, their only loss coming from Army. They could be bowl eligible by next week. Very good for us getting a little respect.

Brovol1
New Recruit

Post by Brovol1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:53 pm

I thought the Hawaii game was similar in that Hawaii came out strong, scored a TD easy, and looked like they were going to take us to the woodshed, until we withstood their best shots, fixed what was going wrong, and counter-punched.. In both games we adjusted very well on defenses, and maintained a trust in the system on offense. In the Buffalo game, the blocked kick/TD was huge and helped with momentum.

I really like the way we have been adjusting and correcting mistakes during games this year. It is a sign of good leadership and a smart team.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 pm

When we had Ellerson, we never seemed to adjust anything at halftime. If it did not work in the first half, it never worked in the second half. Monken and his staff seem to constantly change and adjust especially in the latter stages of a game. That in itself, gives us hope to pull out a game in the end.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic