Air Force vs Navy

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Giant110
New Recruit

Air Force vs Navy

Post by Giant110 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:22 pm

It is a rout at this time in favor of AF.
With a Air Force win Navy can NOT win the CIC this year even if they beat Army. Of course if AF beats Army they win it.

A tie...each team winning 1 game and losing 1 game results in the previous years winner getting the CIC again.

The Army / AF winner in November wins the CIC.

guppie58
New Recruit

Re: Air Force vs Navy

Post by guppie58 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:29 pm

To clarify, I believe Army would retain possession of the CiC if it's a tie....but 2018 would not go on Army's side of the trophy.

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Navy was clearly outplayed by Air Force. They could never get their offense going and the vast majority of their possessions were 3 and out. After a scoreless first quarter, Navy scored first to take a 7-0 lead in the second quarter. It was all Air Force after that. AF lead 14-7 at the half, and added 3 more TDs in the second half. Air Force had 399 total yards (142 passing, 257 rushing) to 173 for Navy (49 passing, 124rushing).

GoBlackKnights85
New Recruit

Post by GoBlackKnights85 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:25 pm

One thing that always struck me is how rarely the title is shared. It's only happened four times in 46 years. That's the beauty of service academy football - once you beat one rival, the motivation to close out the second is almost always present among one of the teams.

As far as this game is concerned, I guess it's safe to say that the final nail has been driven into the coffin of Navy's era of dominance. They were absolutely lifeless on both offense and defense. Their inability to stop the option was especially shocking. Looking at their remaining schedule, I highly doubt they make it to a bowl this year.

Air Force, on the other hand, is going to get better as the season progresses. Now I'm more than a little nervous about the Commander-In-Chief title game at Michie come November.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:34 pm

20 out of the past 21 years, the team that wins the first game has won the CIC.

Naturally, Army never plays the first game in the series so really the outcome of the series first winner is really overhyped.

I am worried about this Hammond kid. He throws very well. It will be a battle come November.

armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

Post by armyhockeyfan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:14 pm

Hawaii's QB is #1 in the nation in passing yards and passing tds, and #3 in passing yards/game. They had the #1 and #5 WRs for rec tds, #1, #12, #26 in receiving yds, #2 and #41 in receiving yards/game. We beat them.

We held Marquise Brown to 0 receptions. One time he was targeted and we picked it off. Like I have said OU is overrated and they were exposed this weekend. They suck defensively but have great offense. I figured they would not make the CFP after their Iowa St game, definitely not after Army, and nobody deserves to make the playoff after giving 33 points up to Baylor. Now they lost to Texas which is a good team, not CFP though.

Army has faced much tougher offenses than AF and won. I'm not nervous because Navy sucks this year. AF beat Navy like they should have. AF is not very good either and based on my interpretations of AF's season vs. Army's, I don't think that AF would be too much to overcome even if they had a QB as good as Kyler Murray.

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:43 pm

AF played a good game but Navy is not that good this year They were very one dimensional. In their first 6 possessions, Perry rushed 15 times, threw 1 incomplete pass, and there were only 4 rushes by other Navy runners. Lewis in relief wasn’t any better beginning on the last possession in the first half.

Navy could not really establish the FB dive. If an option team cannot do that on a consistent basis, they cannot be successful. I still have visions of Navy FB dives that went for 30+ yards against Army during the losing streak. I can’t really say that I’m concerned about AF any more than I was before this game because this is NOT the same Navy team that we’ve seen in the past. It’s almost like KN got dazzled by the shiny object (Perry) and went fundamentally away from the foundation of establishing the FB dive consistently.

It’s safe to say that Navy’s dominance has come to an end. Since 2016, Navy is 1-4 in CIC play. In the prior 14 seasons, they were 24-4 in CIC play with all four of their losses coming to AF. It was an unbelievable run by Navy 2003-2015, but their loss today exposed their weakness: They have no line push and cannot establish the FB dive. For an option team, that spells out game over.

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Yes just looking at the stats from yesterday and the limited video I've seen on Navy they certainly don't seem to be the same team. I'm not certain they have the same talent or maybe it's not being developed? Hard to really know as I don't pay nearly as close attention to them. AF is probably better this year than last and improving I would think. We will have a battle but the good news is we play at home. That's a big plus for us. Big week next week. SJST isn't very good but that's a long trip and a road win that far goes a long way I think.

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:35 pm

RABBLE wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:34 pm
20 out of the past 21 years, the team that wins the first game has won the CIC.
I was getting really tired of them dropping that statistic and implying that it should continue to hold true. In actuality, Army was just the worst of the three academies for two decades but is no longer. The Air Force vs. Navy game is no longer the almost-conclusive CiC trophy game that it has been. This year, Army is the team to beat and I think everybody but the announcers feel that way.

Did anybody else catch the zoomies shouting "we want Army" by the end of the game (similar to how fans often shout "we want Bama")?

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:43 pm

PrideandDream wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:19 pm
Yes just looking at the stats from yesterday and the limited video I've seen on Navy they certainly don't seem to be the same team. I'm not certain they have the same talent or maybe it's not being developed?
It may be development at a particular position. Here is a pre-season article highlighting the lack of depth at the fullback position. It surprised me that they tapped a 210lb safety to shore up the fullback position. Army tends to do this with linebackers.

From the play calling, I don't think Navy has built the depth at the FB position.

Army has focused so much on building the FB position that I think it has at least 3 guys, maybe 4 that could easily start at Navy and AF. It may not be a glamorous position but Army is becoming a not so well kept secret at its focus on the FB position to the point that the highest ranked FB in the nation has it on his top 3 (second article.) Kid ultimately chose Miami, but the point is that secret is out Army starts at the FB position. Navy used to but no longer. For an option team, it has to start with the FB

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/na ... story.html

https://army.rivals.com/news/exclusive- ... -his-top-3

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic