Rest of schedule

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Coach MC
New Recruit

Rest of schedule

Post by Coach MC » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Suddenly the Air Force game seems a bit tougher now than it did two weeks ago. I think EMU, Air Force, and Navy remain the toughest games left, with perhaps EMU as the only game we would not be favored. I plan on attending the Miami and Air Force games. Again, with no obvious bowl tie-in, we would theoretically replace a conference team that is not able to fulfill a requirement. Army has made some noise nationally this year, and Coach Monken has received critical acclaim, so i can assure you we will be in a bowl game, it is just a matter of which one. I have seen the Armed Forces, Uniserv First Responders, Military, and Independence mentioned as potential destinations. Personally, I couldn't see us going to Annapolis, particularly since Texas and Louisiana are such fertile recruiting areas for us. My favorite would be the Independence, where a team like Cal or BYU awaits. And here is my outside the box pick. If we run the table the rest of the way, we could make our way to a more exclusive venue such as the Liberty Bowl, which is a higher profile game. We have already proven we can play with anyone in the country, particularly due to our ability to "shorten" games via the ground attack.

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Re: Rest of schedule

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Colgate's likely to be 9-0 coming in. I'm worried about them.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:45 pm

DoubleOvertime99 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm
Hopefully the days of us losing to yale and stony brook are behind us. Syracuse beat them by 25 and i think we'll likely do the same.

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:48 pm

I'm being somewhat facetious, but at the same time, that's going to be their Super Bowl.

Army went into Norman and nearly beat Oklahoma. S**t happens.

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Can anybody explain why EMU seems to be the toughest opponent and one that may be favored over Army?

They started the season by beating Monmouth (wow!) then had a close win over Purdue...not bad.
They've lost four straight to:
Buffalo, who lost to Army.
SDSU, who lost to Army last year but is pretty good this year.
And NIU and WMU

Granted, all of their games against FBS opponents have been decided by a single score, with an average spread of 3.4 points.

Are they really good enough to be favored over Army? It may be the toughest game left on the schedule (I'd argue USAFA will be tougher) but I don't really get the hype.

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Army Win Predictions by percentage

Massey ESPN
San Jose St. 95.0% 88.4%
Miami (OH) 87.0% 77.6%
Eastern Mich. 74.0% 56.5%
Air Force 79.0% 73.0%
Lafayette 100.0% 99.5%
Colgate 96.0% 93.0%
Navy 80.0% 78.1%

Clearly there's some Pythagorean theorem that makes EMU a tougher out than we think.

Army Frog Fan
New Recruit

Post by Army Frog Fan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Not sure on Massey, but ESPN's FPI has a bunch of stuff that should not be in the metric on how a team is performing right now. Things such as average recruiting class ranking, returning starters, performance over the last few seasons, etc. Those things have no bearing on how a team is playing right now.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Polls and rankings mean little (i.e. the last Presidential race). I imagine we will have a toughie in there where things are just not going the way it should. That is the game we must watch for. In the meantime , just go 1-0 on Saturdays and worry about next weeks opponent , next week..

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:15 pm

DoubleOvertime99 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm
They are a top notch FCS team. Sagarin ranks them ahead of 2 or Army's FBS opponents, Liberty and SJSU.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 pm

We lose to Colgate in the 11th game on our schedule, we would have a tough time getting a bowl bid. I'm not sure we would if we won every other game before Colgate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic