San Jose State Predictions

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
guppie58
New Recruit

Re: San Jose State Predictions

Post by guppie58 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:27 am

I was certainly one of the posters hyping up SJSU as a good team. I'm buying into Monken's approach and I never want to look at an opponent as easy. It's a dangerous mindset, in my opinion. I agree with Monken's attitude that EVERY team is good. He was asked if SJSU might be a trap game and he laughed at that concept, reminding the reporter of the fact that we're Army. Many times throughout every season you see examples of unbelievable upsets. Army may be a strong team this year, but they haven't surpassed their stigma of being recurrently bad quite yet. Beating Army is hardly a major upset for too many teams.

A team like Alabama may be able to sleepwalk through a 50 point win over an SJSU or some FCS school. If Army thinks they can do the same against Colgate, for example, Army will absolutely walk away with a loss.

The team needs to approach every single game and every single snap as if they're playing the best team in the country. Respect every team this way and the team will demonstrate its potential.

I don't want to go back to the years of playing strong against great teams and then losing to miserable FCS teams, so I'll continue to find the best aspects of every team on the schedule and worry...just like the coaches and players should.
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Oh make no mistake I agree with you and on Monken's approach. We need to treat every team we play like OK or Bama. We have to play with a chip on our shoulder every Saturday and can't take anyone for granted. That is without a doubt the right attitude and what will propel us to success.

Just don't mistake the facts, SJSU is not a good team and there are no indicators that say otherwise. They did not play Oregon close. They were down 28-6 with 5:00 left in the 3rd before they finally scored a TD. Then Oregon added another score at the start of the 4th. So when it's 35 -13 at the beginning of the 4th and you never had the lead or even threatened to take it I wouldn't say it's a close game. And it's not like they torched them statistically. 29 rushing yards against Oregon isn't impressive and 267 in the air. Nothing spectacular and Oregon gave them two turnovers. And while we are talking about their Pac 12 play everyone I have this argument with leaves out the fact that they got trounced by Wash St the week prior 31-0. They had 9 yards rushing in this game and Wash St gave them 3 turnovers and they still didn't score. They gave up over 500 yards of offense to Wash St. So that pretty much leaves Hawaii who is Ok, but again SJSU rushed for 39 yards on 37 carries agains the Warriors. Hawaii gave them two turnovers and gave up a 55 yard TD pass all to let them hang around and finally beat them in overtime. Of which Hawaii got the stop in the 2nd OT and kicked the FG to win.

Look I think this Army team is fantastic. I think Monken is doing a great job. Did we start a little slow Saturday? Maybe so but we responded and that's what matters. And we created our opportunities against a bad opponents. We are winning the games we should and winning them convincingly. All I'm saying is that people need to know that SJSU is a horrid football team right now and it's all in the numbers. Should we be concerned about 14-3 at half? I don't think so. I think that's reasonable. I think 21-10 to start the 4th vs this team would have been cause for real concern. I give credit to these guys for battling through and the coaches making adjustments and ultimately getting it done regardless of how it starts.

I guess I get fired up because I don't think Oregon is very good. Nor do I think the PAC 12 is worth a crap as a conference. And I know for a fact how bad SJSU is because i've combed through their stats and it just irks me to no end to hear people try to justify them as a good team. They are not and no one has presented a single fact or statistic that proves otherwise that is meaningful. I'm not mad at anyone, just venting. Thanks for listening!! On to Miami of Ohio!!

PD
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:38 pm

That's fair, and possibly important for the mindset of the team. It might be important for the team to recognize that they just beat a very sub-par team and not to move forward thinking they're world beaters because they won a game by nearly 50 points.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:04 pm

If you are 0-6 in the middle of October, obviously you are not a good football team. With that said, the next team we face is always considered a good team in our preparation.
0 x

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:00 am

Shows how a team can be different when you play them from what they were when you scheduled the game years ago.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:45 pm

I guess Oklahoma must have thought when they scheduled us that we would be a soft touch in 2018.
0 x

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:44 am

RABBLE wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:45 pm
I guess Oklahoma must have thought when they scheduled us that we would be a soft touch in 2018.
They probably thought that going into this season.

I will say that they have been complimentary to Army in all comments I’ve seen before and after the game this year.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Yes, it appears to me that Oklahoma is a class act all the way around AND they even scheduled a HOME and HOME game with us UNLIKE every other annually scheduled "big boy" team we play refuses to do. I applaud them for that nice offer.
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:59 am

RABBLE wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:50 pm
Yes, it appears to me that Oklahoma is a class act all the way around AND they even scheduled a HOME and HOME game with us UNLIKE every other annually scheduled "big boy" team we play refuses to do. I applaud them for that nice offer.
I really appreciate this as well. That being said, if Army's success continues and when the stands are renovated for a higher capacity, I think more teams will offer home-and-home. Army's legitimacy is reemerging.

I'm curious why the yearly Yankee Stadium game dropped off. I know a lot of people here weren't fans of it, but I think it's a great way to create fans from NYC. If able, have it as a 7th "home" game so Michie still has 6 games a year. Big schools might be more willing to play there, too?
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Although Yankee Stadium is a good venue to attract fans from NYC and it would IF the NY media would cover us like they used to back in the 40's thru the 60's. We lost them decades ago and with all the pro teams now in the city, our coverage is not there anymore. If we had a top 5 team or so, they would cover us to an extent. That being said, sadly we are not. We are not a "hot" item and haven't been for decades now.
We really are not the HOME team anymore. NYC has no HOME team although the Big 10 is trying to make itself a presence in the City with Rutgers but their program is so bad right now that very few fans are showing up at High Point Stadium these Saturdays in Piscataway.
Yankee Stadium is also a terrible venue for football . The sight lines are just not acceptable for football. It was built for baseball, not football. The concession prices are thru the roof and parking prices are atrocious and traveling thru the Bronx is just a plain nightmare.
The only way for a BIG BOY team to play us anywhere near Michie would be at Yankee Stadium or Met Life Stadium but playing there is only an actual venue built for football also has its drawback( not in NYC). Thus playing in New Jersey negates the possibility many NYC potential fans up to West Point Tough sell for the academy.
The talk of expanding as I heard to 50,000 or more might attract a few BIG Boy teams to Michie but where the hell are we going to park 50,000 fans with just 3 access points leading into West Point? Bus them in from out of town but where out of town? You need adequate parking at the bus stops too.

When President Thomas Jefferson opened West Point, he sure did not think West Point would attract a big crowd for a football game. Obviously there was no such game but if he did know about it, he would have bought Buttermilk Falls (now Highland Falls) and made it a huge parking lot out of it. ;)
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic