Only the beginning

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
DINO
New Recruit

Only the beginning

Post by DINO » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Firstly, it is great to have found this board and become a member of it, I look forward to making some new friends here.

Secondly, I believe that Army football the last few years is only a glimpse of what is to come.

Under Jeff Monken I see this program becoming bigger, bolder, and better each season for the next few years ahead.

I'm forecasting Army football to become a perennial Top-25 program starting as soon as this season is finished up and continuing for the foreseeable future.

Army football is back out of the mothballs, the present is extremely exciting, while the future is going to be limitless. Army is not only the best service academy school but in addition, this Army program can play with any school in the country over 4 quarters. They may not beat every school they play that is bigger than us, but we'll line up and play hard and competitively with any team they want to line up against us.

On, brave old Army team!
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Re: Only the beginning

Post by gabn92 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Love the optimism!

Welcome to the board. If Army goes 11-2 with a bowl win and CinC trophy...I would think they’d be ranked in the top 25 this season. If they don’t beat themselves and can stay healthy, that is a realistic goal for this season.
0 x

armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

Post by armyhockeyfan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Welcome!

First of all, I have a few questions:
1. What is your opinion on Army joining a conference. Consider scheduling, money, strength of schedule, guaranteed bowl-tie ins, how AF and Navy do generally in a their conferences. I want to hear what you think, the pros and cons, etc.
2. What do you think about Army playing 2 FCS a year? Would you like to see less of that in the coming years or are you ok with it?
3. What team(s) are too great for Army to beat right now? I think the only team Army could not make the game close is Alabama, but that is about it.

Welcome to the board!
0 x

DINO
New Recruit

Post by DINO » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:45 pm

I think the benefits of being in a conference are numerous and in a best-case scenario I would like to see Army return to a conference someday, ideally, because of the opportunity to have a more defined schedule year in and year out, as well as the opportunity to actually win said conference which then opens up some opportunities that currently may not exist within an environment of being an independent. The question is; which conference? In addition, whatever hypothetical conference it might be, there obviously needs to be a mutual attraction for it to happen. I agree with some of your points, including, strength of schedule, bowl tie-ins, more revenue-generating opportunities as the result of being in a conference, and also, I think one thing you didn't mention, the 'legitimacy factor' that happens when you're part of a conference. Notre Dame has no such concerns, obviously, however, for Army that factor should be something that should be considered in my opinion. It would provide for more definition for the program, and, even though Army is a national brand, being in a conference would achieve a higher level of exposure and visibility I think.

I'm not keen on playing FCS schools as a rule, however, until all of the other 'BIG' schools refrain from doing so, then I think Army will also continue to schedule such teams.

You may be right, Alabama would probably run us off the field, but then again, with the way we run our offense and eat up so much clock, Oklahoma might be able to tell Alabama a little bit about the challenges of playing Army.

One thing I'd like to see is the football program marketed better and doing what it can to get more fans into the games at Michie Stadium...even though this year's home schedule is pretty weak so far as attractive teams for people to come and see.

One last thing, for now, Sal Interdanato is a friend of mine, he's a great guy, and I am wondering if Sal ever posts here on this board? My Twitter address is @IMDINOCOSTA for those who would like to follow - I try and follow back anyone who follows me.

Thank you!
0 x

armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

Post by armyhockeyfan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:15 pm

I would like to see us in the ACC. The ACC still gives us freedom to schedule the AF and Navy games, 1 P5 non-conference, and one game against any team we want. We don't have to worry about having a weak schedule or scheduling minus the few games not decided by the conference. I understand why some prefer to stay independent because of the freedom it provides. Another reason is because if we ever made the conference championship, we would get no break before Navy. I think that we are good now where we are at, but even if we get top 25 after Miami OH, EMU, or AF, what will voters think when they only get to see Army beating FCS 2 weeks straight then 3 weeks later beating Navy. In the ACC, instead of playing a Lafayette we could play a UNC. Same can be said for SJSU, which could be traded for Louisville in the ACC. Except with those teams, we would have been ranked by now and climbing. I wouldn't mind being in the AAC either.

Army should have gotten more respect for the blowout win @ Buffalo, the win over Hawaii, and the loss @ Oklahoma. But as long as we win out, we should get a good bowl game/opponent. I would love to play a good P5 or top 25 G5 team. It also seems that with an independent schedule, you sometimes do not know if you are scheduling a bunch of cupcakes, but in a good conference you know every game has weight.

I don't think Sal has posted on the board, but I wouldn't know. Since you are a friend of his, does he tell you a lot of inside information on the team as well?
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:50 am

I have repeatedly said i think this program imprives year by year and i think in 2020-2022 we upset our big boy opponent and run the table.

That being said, our “only the beginning” hope and dream only applies if our administration keeps monkenand bateman and Davis around. My 3-decades of army fandom have me concerned in this area. I am not sure our leadership has it in them to generate the funds and support to keep these guys around. I guess we’ll see.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:56 pm

If we have the funds to rebuild the East Stands, we better have the funds to keep Monken, Bateman and Davis around. If we don't and lose these guys, our new good looking Michie will resemble a mausoleum that sometimes it looks on game day with poor attendance even when we have good teams going these days.
Geez, maybe I shouldn't have said that. My ticket price will skyrocket more in future seasons depending on my health to be semi-alive.
0 x

DINO
New Recruit

Post by DINO » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 pm

The need to increase their marketing budget and they need to find ways to activate a potential college football fan base in a market much more attuned to NFL football. They need to make a day out at Michie more of a destination. This recent good run needs to be taken advantage of and they should be striking while the iron is hot and not waste this winning environment and a window in which Army football has an opportunity to be marketed much more broadly. Otherwise, can someone tell me why they're increasing capacity at the stadium?
0 x

Mastergate
New Recruit

Post by Mastergate » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Stay out of conferences too many things go wrong Navy finding out playing teams repeatedly losses the advantage of running option. Even Monken has stated wants to remain independent
More schedule options being independent. Do not repeat a mistake
0 x

ArmyinSoCal
New Recruit

Post by ArmyinSoCal » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Win, schedule good teams and the fans will come. Michie was packed when I was a cadet (85-89.) I think that scheduling Purdue, Indiana, North Carolina, Baylor and any middle tier Big 5 teams would draw better than MAC, Sunbelt and FCS schools. Keep in mind that schedules/contracts are made years in advance. Four years ago, this team lost to Harvard and was completely embarrassing. It is just the beginning, but this administration is professional, they are doing a solid job. There is really not a lot of room in the schedule until 2023 https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/army/. As far as conferences - I would love the AAC or ACC. Taking the big games to NYC, would start generating a fan base.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic