Coach Monken

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Guppie...

Post by ARMORMAN » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:52 pm

now that you mention it, I DO remember you posting that comment quite some time ago; specifically, that Coach Monken mentioned a "National Championship" goal for Army.....

And would anyone now be surprised or amused if that were true?

I mean, for a man of Monken's singular competence and drive and love of West Point, is there really any other meaningful or appropriate ultimate goal???

Smaller men might reach lower, aspire less. They might convince themselves and others about what is "realistic" as they go about their business....

But whether he ever gets us within sniffing distance of that goal or not, I'm with Coach MC's feelings: "so very happy (and grateful) to have this coach and his staff."
1 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Re: Coach Monken

Post by guppie58 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:18 pm

I think one thing that Monken has done an exceedingly great job at is utilizing West Point for what it is. Probably every other coach in the country would make excuses for the difficulties at West Point: recruiting, height/weight, inability to be drafted into the NFL, mandatory service, offensive scheme, lifestyle...I could go on for an hour. In fact, I know a fellow Academy coach who mentions some of those very excuses.

Instead, Monken has accepted those things and instead embraces some benefits that West Point provides: unselfish character and drive to succeed. West Point's mission is to develop leaders of character, and Monken creates leaders with every single player on the team. I would also argue that Army is the #1 most cohesive team in the country, and what they go through together beyond football helps that. He literally has a team full of cadets who are willing to put their life on the line for something bigger than themselves, and he uses that to field a team of warriors.

Now that Army is succeeding, and with the name and prestige associated with West Point aiding the recruiting effort, I think we are looking forward to a modern Golden Era for Army Football. This is an incredibly exciting time.

One thing I remember was how excited Georgia Southern fans were that he accepted the position at Army. Not because they wanted to get rid of him, but because they loved him and wanted the best for him. That says a LOT. People like Jeff Monken are one in a million.
Last edited by guppie58 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

Mack270
New Recruit

Re: Coach Monken

Post by Mack270 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Some very good thoughts in this thread!
2 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic