Jeff Monken's post-game presser.....

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Jeff Monken's post-game presser.....

Post by ARMORMAN » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Explaining the emotional penalties (paraphrasing):

"This is a heated rivalry. It's a "HATED" rivalry. You HATE 'em. You try to keep the hate under control, but there's just no team on the planet you'd rather beat."

As usual, he minces no words and says it all. He asks (and gives) no quarter. No question there's bad blood, between coaches, players, schools. Ask PD or anyone who's played against them. They think they're somehow entitled. They trash talk; before, during, and after. Even their spirit signs are designed to inflame. ("Army and Navy play for second") They can't accept even an occasional honest beat-down as anything other than a horrendous, unfair anomaly.

But now it's 2 in a row. Their place and ours. Ripped the trophy from their grasp this year. That's gotta hurt, but classy teams give credit where it's due. They don't flip you off, literally and in post-game quotes.... Too bad, really. They should be better than that.

Army/Navy is still "America's Game". Maybe that's why the zoomies are so insecure. They'll always be on the outside looking in. And here's the thing: After Army/Navy, there's rarely any semblance of poor sportsmanship. Raw emotion is all on display, but rarely is there anything but fair credit to the winner choked out through bitter tears....
1 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Re: Jeff Monken's post-game presser.....

Post by guppie58 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:10 pm

I'm enjoying lurking on their forum as I see them grasp for every excuse imaginable for why they lost...rather than taking the high road and acknowledging our success. My current favorite: Attacking Caslen and the corners Army is supposedly cutting:

"People gave Caslen crap about concentrating so much on football. #missionaccomplished"
"And it's paid off in the short term, no doubt. Will it pay off in the long-term with the corners they've cut, the standards they've lowered, the marginal cases they've retained? We'll see. It'll be especially interesting to see what happens when Moncken leaves for the huge $$$ at the end of this season. Remember, there are schools with hugely deep pockets having terrible years (e.g. Nebraska, UCLA, almost every Power 5 school that doesn't make it to a bowl)"

Lots of ignorance there. Nebraska is set with Frost. He's not going anywhere. Also, Monken loves West Point. I just talked to a buddy who went to Georgia Southern. He said that most everybody there knew he loved the Academies and wanted to go back. Sure, money talks...but if he leaves it won't be this season.
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

LoneStarPhan
New Recruit

Post by LoneStarPhan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:33 pm

I would also think that many of the big programs would hesitate to go for a head coach who built his success on running an option offense. They are more likely to go for a coach who had success with a program that looked more like what they are running. Of course, there is a good chance that Monken will draw some interest.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm

guppie58 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:10 pm
I'm enjoying lurking on their forum as I see them grasp for every excuse imaginable for why they lost...rather than taking the high road and acknowledging our success. My current favorite: Attacking Caslen and the corners Army is supposedly cutting:

"People gave Caslen crap about concentrating so much on football. #missionaccomplished"
"And it's paid off in the short term, no doubt. Will it pay off in the long-term with the corners they've cut, the standards they've lowered, the marginal cases they've retained? We'll see. It'll be especially interesting to see what happens when Moncken leaves for the huge $$$ at the end of this season. Remember, there are schools with hugely deep pockets having terrible years (e.g. Nebraska, UCLA, almost every Power 5 school that doesn't make it to a bowl)"

Lots of ignorance there. Nebraska is set with Frost. He's not going anywhere. Also, Monken loves West Point. I just talked to a buddy who went to Georgia Southern. He said that most everybody there knew he loved the Academies and wanted to go back. Sure, money talks...but if he leaves it won't be this season.
The GRANDFATHER of corner cutting is the Air Force Academy. They were doing crap back in the 1980's that Army and navy didn't think to try until Paul JOhnson came to town.

I am pretty familiar with alot of the changes Army has used (fall class schedule, use of summer school, use of prep school, etc) and its just common sense logical stuff that (a) makes army better at football and (b) has zero impact on the type of officer being produced.

Again....and Again...I will say......just a bunch of Air Force fans who have NO CLUE how to act now that they aren't the kingpin anymore.
1 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:13 pm

HISTORICALLY, maybe a few years cancellation of the game could happen. I say historically because back in the 1890's the A/N game was cancelled for a few years because of the heat generated between the two schools. I got so bad that a General and an Admiral ALMOST got into a duel over the rivalry back then and the powers that be said enough of this and mutually cancelled the game for a few years.
Don't laugh. Things like this have a habit to grow bigger each year until an explosion nearly takes place.
Calm down everybody. In reality it still only a game. Be aware of it.
I know the students of all 3 schools are drilled into their heads from the day they arrive on post to BEAT THIS and BEAT THAT and some of them take it to extremes. Maybe this talk could be toned down a bit on all three schools. Its something that might be looked into.
0 x

PrideandDream
New Recruit

Post by PrideandDream » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Word is Monken has a deep distaste for Air Force.

I'll leave it at that. I think you can see that in his comments. He's acutely aware of the lack of respect that they continually demonstrate for both Army and Navy.

PD
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:52 pm

I think it goes all the way back to his time at Navy as an assistant under Paul Johnson. Johnson famously hated DeBerry from what I'm told.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic