Thoughts and updates

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Coach MC
New Recruit

Thoughts and updates

Post by Coach MC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:33 am

Another win that while at times not pretty from an execution standpoint, we did enough good things at the right times to win. That last defensive stand was really terrific. On 3rd and short, Bateman had a designed blitz that was exactly where the play was run. That doesn't happen by accident. Why in the world AFA ran an option to the short side of the field on 4th and 2 is beyond me but we stuffed that too. Really a hard fought game that got chippy in the 2nd half, mostly on specials. They are a very competitive opponent. Some of the things I liked were our ability to establish the fullback, lack of turnovers, the catch down at the 1 yard line by Asberry which was incredible, QB sneaks for 1st downs (we called that weeks ago), ability of our defense to shut them down when it mattered, and of course Abercrombie. I thought I heard he's a senior. Where has he been for 3 years?? What I didn't like was the conservative play calling yet again once we had an established lead, the offensive line penalties, and the fact that Schrage was not himself for the second week in a row. But 7-2 sounds real good right now.

As far as bowls, our blog talked about the Independence. We were hoping for that several weeks back, posters on this board were all over it. I like Jerry Palm's site for accuracy, and he has the Belk, Independence, Armed Forces, First Responder, Boca Raton, and Birmingham as bowls that would take teams to fill the place of conference affiliates. I still think the Independence is a good look, as the opponent would probably be Virginia or Miami(Fl). Belk is a premiere game, but Duke seems ticketed for that and I'm not sure folks want rematches in bowls despite our game vs North Texas a couple years back. The Texas bowls are advantageous to us for recruiting but a lot would depend on the potential opponent.

For those who are banging the table for conference affiliation like the American, be careful what you wish for. That program down in Annapolis is taking it on the chin, and they are not a bad team. The American is a meat grinder with UCF, USF, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, and even Temple playing good ball right now. We can be competitive with anyone in the country right now on a one game basis, which is an amazing thing, but to play these types of teams week in and week out, it takes a toll. Attrition due to injury is a real concern. Some of those clubs are three deep at every position. Right now the independent schedule gives us a chance to put up a strong record, and be 100% ready when we play the Power 5 schools. The FCS games are not very appealing due to our strength right now, so maybe just one a year down the road would be nice.

As for Coach Monken, I think it's no secret that I feel he is perfect for us, and vice versa. Not sure there are a coach and a program more perfectly suited to one another in the country. But he is a popular name right now, and this is a business. I believe he makes just shy of $1 million as a base, with $50,000 bonus for each win vs a service academy and $150,000 if he beats both. Also, a very small bonus for team academic performance tiers and a small Nike incentive. There may be other perks I am not aware of. That may seem like a lot to the layman, but in the world of college football that is a bargain. No doubt we will have to extend his contract again (it runs through 2020), and sweeten the deal. And quite frankly, it should be done. Our program is on an upward arc, and that could continue for quite awhile with this staff. We live in a very sobering world
right now and most of us have many day to day obligations. What Coach Monken and his student athletes have done is provide so many of us across the country and abroad with renewed excitement, anticipation, and of course pride each fall. Army football is more than just a game each week. Not sure you can put a price on that. My hope is our administration does what is necessary to keep this thing intact for years to come.
1 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Re: Thoughts and updates

Post by wpgrad » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:55 am

My view is this: navy pays Ken $2.6million. If he wants to leave for 4-5mill, navy probably cant do anything

But we are paying our guy $1-1.5million. If we cant get our guy to the same level as navy, $2.5, then our AD office sucks.

And if we get him to $2.5, he wont leave

If after 30 years we lose this guy cause we wont pay , wow.....i’d be heartbroken. And not sure i have another 25 years of patience left in me to wait for another monken
1 x

kfan12
New Recruit

Post by kfan12 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 pm

wpgrad wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:55 am
My view is this: navy pays Ken $2.6million. If he wants to leave for 4-5mill, navy probably cant do anything

But we are paying our guy $1-1.5million. If we cant get our guy to the same level as navy, $2.5, then our AD office sucks.

And if we get him to $2.5, he wont leave

If after 30 years we lose this guy cause we wont pay , wow.....i’d be heartbroken. And not sure i have another 25 years of patience left in me to wait for another monken
Amen. Agree, I think salaries are outlandish in College sports, but if you want to be competitive, you've got to pay the price.
0 x

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Agree with ALL the above....

Post by ARMORMAN » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Excellent summary of a great victory, specifically:

- LACK OF TURNOVERS (Again!!!), Asberry's incredible catch, Abercrombie's pressure kick, 3 outstanding offensive drives, qb sneak at the end, and most of all OUR AMAZING, INTENSE, ATTACKING DEFENSE, which imho, has been most responsible for the last 4 victories over AF and Navy.

- I also appreciate another opinion that our 2d half play-calling has become much to conservative and predictable...that will burn us if we don't change.

- Love the Independence Bowl possibilities, esp against a team like Miami or Virginia. NO bowl vs N Texas, Duke, GT, Ga Southern, or SDSU please...

- Agree with no conference affiliation. We tried that. It's killing the squids now. We don't need that.

- Agree only one FCS game/year, assuming that can be done as an independent....

- Agree exactly with wpgrad's salary summary for Jeff Monken. We need to get him to $2.5M, with appropriate raises for the staff. If we can, I agree that he'll stay and "finish the legacy" here. He loves West Point. We need to love him back.

Out.
0 x

losttribe
New Recruit

Post by losttribe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Like Armorman, really appreciate the Coach's summaries. Concise and spot on.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:48 pm

I would rather pay Coach Monken rather than what I pay for all my doctors.

Hell, at least Monken is making me feel better. All my doctors do is take my money and I still feel lousy. :)
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic