How many wins will Army have in 2017?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

What will Army's 2017 win total be?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:51 pm

1%
No votes
14%
32%
29%
15%
4%
4%
No votes
3 or less
No votes

Total votes: 72

guppie58
Warrior

Re: How many wins will Army have in 2017?

Post by guppie58 »

JimBearNJ wrote:Having one marquee reach team on the schedule is fine. I rather play OSU and take challenge and likely loss than a bad FCS team like Morgan State. They do make money but also they help recruiting. Navy pushed Ohio Sttate the two times they played them recently. Even a bad Navy team had a chance against Penn State two years ago.
Not to mention that our very own Army team almost upset Penn State last year with a second string quarterback! The Penn State that won the Big Ten, finished the regular season #5, and many people argued should be in the playoffs this year. Anything can happen in college football.

Ohio State will certainly be heavily favored next year. But imagine what would happen to this program if Army were to keep it close, or (dare I say it) win?
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.
Giant110
Warrior

Post by Giant110 »

I agree that I would rather play a "reach" game then a 2nd FCS School. In 2018 Army again plays 2 FCS Schools ( Lafayette and Colgate). One FCS per season is fine while 2 is foolish I feel.

No one will argue that Army does not have the talent to face Big 10 or SEC teams every week but, one or two a season is fine.

I hope Army has turned the corner and we will again see winning record football next season and beyond. If that turns out to be true then the past thinking under former Army head coaches and fans that Army does not have a chance or has little chance to beat very good teams should end.
0 x
BlackKnight09
Warrior

Post by BlackKnight09 »

I'm hopeful we get to 7.

Ohio state, Duke, temple, Air Force, navy and even eastern Michigan will likely be tough games.
0 x
cdionne
Warrior

Post by cdionne »

7, maybe 8 wins. Second half of season looks very tough.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

When we were three and three, and after the Notre Dame game, people wanted to fire monken.

Now 60% of the voters in this poll expect 8-9 wins next year. Lol. Which has happened zero times since 1996 (hopefully starts Tuesday)
0 x
BigNick
Warrior

Post by BigNick »

At least 7 - maybe 8 if the new 2 middle linebackers are good and we develop at least 3 new quality offensive linemen. However, if the current trend of turnovers in not solved -5-6 wins
0 x
GoArmy78
Warrior

Post by GoArmy78 »

9 Wins.......CINC trophy.....Bowl Game !!!!
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

goarmy78--
9 wins, CIC TROPHY and a Bowl win in 2017.
Now that is what I would call a really, really successful season.
Of course winning all the games in addition to what I just wrote, would probably send me to my "heavenly reward" earlier than I would hope too because of the heart rush I would get on that happening.
As you all know, I am not a great proponent of our future and annual "reach" game. I just would hope that we have a reasonable chance some glorious year of "running the table" and win them all. Playing an Ohio State or a Michigan or an Oklahoma is just out of the realm as far as I can see it.
I know the guys would like the opportunity to play a big, big, opponent but the idea of a remote but possible undefeated season playing within your talents would be more special to me as far as I would be concerned.
I recall the excitement of traveling to the Carrier Dome to play Syracuse as an undefeated 9-0 team back in 1996 and hoping to go "all the way" that year far exceeded any future excitement as a fan of seeing Army playing an Ohio State team in the scant hope of a win out in Columbus next season.
But that's just me I guess.
I was happier than hell years ago after the 38-0 win over Navy in 1949 to wind up our last undefeated, untied season in Army Football history. I still remember that one and as a kid in 1944 and 1945 when we did the exact same thing.
0 x
GoBlackKnights85
Warrior

Post by GoBlackKnights85 »

The 2017 schedule looks tantalizing. 10-2 is within the realm of possibility, depending on a whole slew of factors. I'll go conservative and call it 8-4 this far out. We'll revisit this topic in August.
0 x
oldgrad74
Warrior

Post by oldgrad74 »

RABBLE wrote:We DO NOT need to be playing Ohio State. Of course we do (for the money). It certainly won't be for the competition.
Let's be reasonable here. We must play ALL our games with a reasonable expectation of winning. Teams like OSU, Michigan and Oklahoma are NOT a reasonable chance of winning. :cry:
I am sick of your broken record on this. Tell the kids when you strut around that it won't "competition".
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic