Coach N rumors

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
monkensminion
New Recruit

Re: Coach N rumors

Post by monkensminion » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 pm

It really doesn’t matter at this point. Three years ago I would have been much more interested in this.

Bottom line. Monken is the equivalent of Ken N. We’ve beaten him and we will continue to beat him.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Apart from Paul Johnson's past move to GT, what school would really want an option style head coach?
Well, maybe Arizona but in these days of high powered passing pro styles, especially the PAC, I would think Niumatalolo would be hard pressed to consistently produce wins in that conference or any other conference for that matter using the option as his main offensive system.
I don't think Coach Ken is going anywhere. Sure, today's 1.8 million per maybe be "paltry" in today's multi year contracts among today's head coaches, but I also think that he just has it made where he is now, so why explore?
The only reason I think he interviewed at Arizona is to see what "he is worth" on the open market out there and as a base to maybe get a bit more out of the Navy on future negotiations..
0 x

USMA80C1
New Recruit

Post by USMA80C1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm

USMA76

I'm with you about Coach N. He's been an excellent coach at Navy. I think it does our program well when Navy has a strong team, and we beat them - which I think will happen with more frequency than in the past. With the Army-Navy game being a "stand-alone" game at the end of the regular season, I think it garners more attention than it used to, and is fresh in the mind of poll voters.

0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:30 pm

USMA80C1 wrote:USMA76

I'm with you about Coach N. He's been an excellent coach at Navy. I think it does our program well when Navy has a strong team, and we beat them - which I think will happen with more frequency than in the past. With the Army-Navy game being a "stand-alone" game at the end of the regular season, I think it garners more attention than it used to, and is fresh in the mind of poll voters.

perhaps but we just beat Navy, then beat a 10 win San Diego state, and still couldn't sniff the top 25
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 pm

As far as our final ranking, I think our 4th quarter defense against Tulane and the lack of defending UNT for the whole game just did us in with the pollsters in the end.
0 x

GoBlackKnights85
New Recruit

Post by GoBlackKnights85 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:07 pm

Niumatololo is a class act through and through, and his loyalty to the Naval Academy in spite of getting offers from Power 5 schools is a rarity these days. It's difficult picturing anybody else pacing the Navy sideline. Every Army/Navy game between him and Monken have been classics, and having each of them sit at either end of the chess board every December has been immensely entertaining and beneficial to the publicity and lore of the great series.

I want to get a few more licks in on him and "the man upstairs" before he retires or departs anyway; two in a row isn't nearly enough.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:21 pm

For an SA coach to go elsewhere no matter how successful he may have been at an academy is very hard to find success at another school because the SA's are pretty much beholden to the option attack and not much for the pro set of pass, pass and more pass. Why any school would really settle for any of the three coaches , I just can't see.
The only coach in the option era to make good elsewhere was Paul Johnson.
It may work at another school in the short term but once the other schools in a particular conference get used to seeing it once a year, the early success would taper off over the long haul.
0 x

palidog
New Recruit

Post by palidog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 am

I have a lot of respect for Coach N and what he has done at Navy. Happy he decided to stay, once again.
0 x

Armyfan
New Recruit

Post by Armyfan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Maybe Coach N is buying time for Jasper's son to heal before leaving thus ensuring IJ will be his successor.
0 x

Armyfan
New Recruit

Post by Armyfan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Maybe Coach N is buying time for Jasper's son to heal before leaving thus ensuring IJ will be his successor.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic