Would Army Join a New Conference?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
stash76
New Recruit

Would Army Join a New Conference?

Post by stash76 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Interesting article about UConn dropping to FCS or joining a new North East Conference if Army joins.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/2/ ... merican-p6
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Re: Would Army Join a New Conference?

Post by wpgrad » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Thats a pretty good article.

In reality, schools like Rutgers and BC and Syracuse won't leave the power 5. There is just too much money and they can't easily get booted from their alliance.

So the only reality is that a new conference has to be formed from Group of 5 members and Independents. And it'd have to make geographical sense like a few teams from the NOrtheast and a few teams from the South Central US and Virginia

A league of:
1) Army
2) UCONN
3) UMASS

4) Old Dominion
5) Liberty
6) James Madison

7) WKU
8) Memphis
9) Cinci
10) MTSU

A conference like that would be as good as any current group of 5. Is it a better option that the current independent status of Army? In my opinion....probably not, I like being independent.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Further comment--in my opinion the group of 5 conferences lose credibility and status simply by making dumb geographical choices. Example, the Big East a few years ago adding San Diego State. Really? thats just dumb

So any hypothetical future conference would really need to lock in specific geographic regions and teams, and have it make sense on a map and make sense from travel partner arrangements and relationships.

A daunting task, indeed

And mark me down as one that never wants to be in the same conference as Navy since we both run the same offense. it takes away the uniqueness
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Would Army join a conference?
No.
Why not?
We are already in a conference. It's called "the Service Conference" consisting of Army, Navy and Air Force.
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:41 pm

I hate the jabs I see in various articles mentioning Army Football, such as the comment that LTG Caslen is adamant about returning Army to football glory at the expense of academy standards.

That added "thought" provides absolutely nothing to the article.
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:58 pm

I think the Supe is correct.

Sure, I would like Army to be the national champions again but it just would not happen these days.

Of course we should never compromise the standards of USMA but that is not the question. The problem is pro football. If you want to make millions at the next level, a SA wont be in the minds of the very best HS talent. That is why we do not get the 5-star recruits. No 5 star recruits, no national championships.
0 x

palidog
New Recruit

Post by palidog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:31 pm

Interesting article. A couple of thoughts:

1) UMASS was told by the MAC to play all sports in the conference or get completely out. UMASS was kicked out when they said they would not be an all-sports college for the MAC...
2) Therefore, it is doubtful the MAC would take UCONN in football only and UCONN has no interest in going there anyhow.
3) UCONN would be better in the Big East but the money is not there, even compared to the AAC. They are hoping the ACC comes along and snatches them up, but I doubt that will happen.
4) The authors make a great point. The new schools in each of the Power 5 conferences are struggling. Syracuse, Pitt, BC and even Notre Dame are not doing well in ACC basketball and the first three struggle in football. Nebraska, Rutgers and maryland are struggling in the Big Ten; After a fast start Missouri is not doing well in the SEC and I think Texas A&M fans miss their old rivals in the Big 12, especially Texas. Even out west, Colorado and Utah are after-thoughts and seem misplaced. West Virginia is totally out of place in the Big 12. BUT MONEY TALKS.....
5) I hear that many Big 10 diehards are not fans of the new teams either, especially Rutgers, which brings little to the party after it became clear that most sports fans in the NYC area don't give a damn about the school. The ACC is miserable about having to play up in Syracuse, BC and Pitt and many say that the Notre Dame deal (five games per year in football to be eligible in all other sports) is not working for the ACC.
6) As for Army, I believe a conference is better than being an independent, especially with the schedules I see ahead. BUT, not sure we could compete in a conference and playing the group of teams we play now gives us a great chance to have winning seasons. But, with a couple of exceptions, these are usually among the worst 30 teams in the country. The conference outlined above would be interesting because I think we could compete. JUST MY THOUGHTS
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:15 pm

We don't need a conference. We can pick and choose who we want to schedule. We can cherry pick all FBS teams instead of playing the same old conference foes.
I like diversity.
We don't have to play the very top teams in the country anyway.
Why?
We 'aint winning any national championships anymore so why play them in the first place?
Besides, our goal is to beat AF and Navy, win the CIC Trophy and make a Bowl. What else are we looking for? A Top 10 ranking? Forgetaboutit.
If you want to root for FBS national title schools, root for Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma or Ohio State.

Just don't root for Notre Dame. :lol:
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic