Quiet Board - Something fun to look at

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Quiet Board - Something fun to look at

Post by admin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:02 pm

The idea of a 64 team playoff is interesting but would have ramifications. I think it could be done in conjunction with the current bowl lineup but it would reduce the number of bowls available to non-playoff teams because a team could possibly play as many as six games in a playoff.

Off the top of my head, I think it would make better sense to have conference champions for all FBS conferences play in a 16 team tournament. That's 10 teams from conference champions. Then have 6 at-large bids to bring it up to 16. No conference would be allowed to have more than 2 teams in the tournament. 4-week tournament. 16 to 8 to 4 to 2 to 1. That's 15 bowl games to decide the champion. There would still be lots of bowls to go around for the playoff non-qualifiers that have 6 or more wins. A 16 team playoff wouldn't kill the current bowl system just as the 4 playoff concept hasn't.

DoubleOvertime99
New Recruit

Post by DoubleOvertime99 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:25 pm

64 teams would be fun, but also render the regular season nearly meaningless...much like basketball.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 pm

A 15 game season?
It will never happen because the NCAA would say that it the expanded football players schedule would interfere with their academics while the NCAA allows up to 80 games for the baseballers. I guess the NCAA doesn't care about the baseball players missing classes by playing as many as 80 games during the spring.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic