Kell Walker to QB

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ArmyFan1995
New Recruit

Kell Walker to QB

Post by ArmyFan1995 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:25 am

I don’t buy it.

Monken was quoted before Army Navy game saying that Walker doesn’t have the skill set needed to play QB like Malcolm Perry does

http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/

FSUBulldog0
New Recruit

Re: Kell Walker to QB

Post by FSUBulldog0 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:33 am

ArmyFan1995 wrote:I don’t buy it.

Monken was quoted before Army Navy game saying that Walker doesn’t have the skill set needed to play QB like Malcolm Perry does

http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/
Maybe in a wildcat-type package but I’m with you in that I don’t see it. Get Langdon, Hopkins and the two rising yearlings reps this spring.

BTW, I read some tweets on Navy’s spring plans. They waited until later in the spring to get Perry healthy enough to participate. Seems a bit strange to base your spring plans around one player, no? The other interesting thing was that they want him to work on passing. Personally, I’d go back to Abey and work on his ball security. Perry is too small to take the punishment a QB takes in the option. If everything is based on him they are going to be disappointed.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:34 pm

I trust in Monken. That being said, I would love to see a kell walker as a full time QB if he is our best option. As we've seen with Ahmad, its not like he needs to chuck the ball 15x a game. I am not as much of a fan of the wildcat option thing. As is cliche....when you have 2 or 3 quarterbacks, you have none. I'd like to see one guy step up.

Navy is kidding themselves if they think 161 pound perry is going to last 12-13 games as a quarterback. That being said, I hope they try it and it backfires on them. 2 in a row is good, 3 in a row is much better

hammerdown
New Recruit

Post by hammerdown » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Now that Bradshaw is looking more like he is done, and Carter seems very questionable.
That leaves Hopkins as the starter, Langdon as a backup who really has not shown much
in his few opportunities last year. Trying Walker as a QB seems like it has little down side, but
the possibility of a big upside. If Bradshaw and Carter are done, we need more options at the QB spot.

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:33 pm

hammerdown wrote:Now that Bradshaw is looking more like he is done, and Carter seems very questionable.
That leaves Hopkins as the starter, Langdon as a backup who really has not shown much
in his few opportunities last year. Trying Walker as a QB seems like it has little down side, but
the possibility of a big upside. If Bradshaw and Carter are done, we need more options at the QB spot.

Last sentence key. Chances of 1 qb getting through the whole year is not typical

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Reminds me of 1955 after Pete Vann graduated, that Army was in the same pickle with no QB that Blaik felt could lead the team for the season. What he did was take an All-America end in Don Holleder and move him to OB for Don's senior season. It was called "Blaik's Folly" by the writers of the day. We lost 3 games that year, one of them being to Yale, tying one but did upset Navy.
Holleder, as good as he was at football , couldn't throw the ball worth a lick.
His QB rating was poor but his legacy was still intact at seasons end because of the victory over the Mids.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic