Monken's Contract

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

How much longer will Monken coach Army?

He will move to another job during this off-season
No votes
2022 will be his final year with Army
17%
He will finish his current contract, through the 2023 season
7%
He will sign a contract extension and stay with Army longer-term
76%

Total votes: 29

kfan12
Warrior

Re: Monken's Contract

Post by kfan12 »

wpgrad wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:24 am
I hope you are right. 0-5 start not only wouldnt suprise me, it would also likely sour the team which might impact performance the rest of the way. Hopefully I’m wrong
Yep. CC has been rolling; returning QB is 20-2 as a starter. UTSA had some impressive wins last year, but could easily return to the middle of the pack in CUSA. I think we can beat GA State, Villanova and perhaps Wake (new QB, porous D this last year)... well Army could beat them all, and that would be pretty amazing.

It is always difficult to forecast where teams will go year-to-year, but I think it is even more difficult at the moment with many schools losing their "6th year" players. Conceivably there are a significant number of schools out their losing two years worth of starters all at once.
0 x
BG
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

kfan12 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:48 pm
wpgrad wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:24 am
I hope you are right. 0-5 start not only wouldnt suprise me, it would also likely sour the team which might impact performance the rest of the way. Hopefully I’m wrong
Yep. CC has been rolling; returning QB is 20-2 as a starter. UTSA had some impressive wins last year, but could easily return to the middle of the pack in CUSA. I think we can beat GA State, Villanova and perhaps Wake (new QB, porous D this last year)... well Army could beat them all, and that would be pretty amazing.

It is always difficult to forecast where teams will go year-to-year, but I think it is even more difficult at the moment with many schools losing their "6th year" players. Conceivably there are a significant number of schools out their losing two years worth of starters all at once.
The repeat year was for all players not just the seniors
1 x
giant16
Warrior

Post by giant16 »

kfan12 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:40 am
wpgrad wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:06 pm A few points
1) coach ken had some huge wins and he couldnt get an offer amywhere. Arizona wanted to hire him and their QB tweeted “i didnt come to arizona to run no option”
2). If i had to list 4 likely schools to hire monken, they’d be illinois, kansas, duke and vamdy. All of them had openings and Monken couldnt get the job at any of them

Huge are the balls of the AD that hires an option guy. Why risk your job on that type of hire

I dont see monken ever getting hired by a power 5. And i think next year smells like a 4-5 win season which will take the shine off the apple

My guess? When he leaves, it will be a lateral move to a G5 school in florida or Ga simply for family reasons. A USF type of school
The front end of Army's 2022-23 schedule is tough. Within the first five games Army faces four bowl teams. Coastal Carolina (11-2) and UTSA (12-2) both received votes in the final polls. Villanova went 10-3 and lost in the quarterfinals of the FCS playoff. Ga State finished 8-5. and Wake (11-3) finished in the top 20 this year. Combined records of our first five opponents: 52-15.

The back end is easier, theoretically, but Air Force is in the mix. Their records: Colgate (5-6), ULM (4-8, could be a tough out), Air Force (10-3 ), Troy (5-7), UConn (1-11), UMass (1-11) rounding out with Navy (4-8).

I think Army can beat all of them. If I had to bet, I'd go with 8-4 or 9-3 when the regular season ends. The potential to either go undefeated or miss a bowl opportunity is significant however.
KFan, appreciate you spelling these records out. Earlier in the year I thought the 22 schedule was pretty weak and i was disappointed in the opponents. Right now though you are spot on & this will be a challenge the first half of the season. I think the second half only has UCONN & UMASS as gimmies.

As said this will challenge JM & the coaching staff.
OBOAT!
0 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

CC and UTSA keeping their coaches is what makes those games tough.
0 x
21-17!
rbmarmy
Warrior

Post by rbmarmy »

To Rabble, and others, Yes So my guess is Monkin stays the coach has a wonderful home so much so that my parking space was compromised because it was not adequately provided with electricity. As for living at West Point it is truly a wonderful place surrounded by not much for a growing family. Highland Falls is neither the vacation capital or destination spot, or honeymoon spot or recreation spot that Annapolis or Colorado Springs are. If it were not for Stewart Airport and their destination flight to nowhere, or the Palisades one hour from COVID and Crime in NYC you might almost think it were isolated, between a River and a Mountain.That being said it has not proven to be the "birthplace" of football coaches immortals. Deitzel, bombed at South Carolina, Sutton, survived as a pro-defense coach on the pro circuit. His successors left for, mostly retirement acres, for the golf course. Blaik, never coached again, and Jim Young went to Arizona, and got "smothered" in the desert heat. I do view the wishbone a little differently, than some, a coach could go to a Duke or Vandy and be successful a couple of years while opponents adjust to defending it. in 84-86 that was 'Young's ticket to success.So my guess is Monken stays, he is a big fish in a pond he commands, and with a promise on changing leadership every 5 years, he can somewhat control his destiny while breaking in the new Supe.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

Pretty sure Young retired after coaching Army…his stint at Arizona was prior to coaching at West Point.
1 x
Tanker79
Warrior

Post by Tanker79 »

Army was his last head coaching job. He took a couple years off after leaving Army, then went to Arizona as an assistant for a couple years. He had previously been head coach at Arizona from 1973 - 1976.
0 x
rbmarmy
Warrior

Post by rbmarmy »

Young came from Purdue
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

wpgrad wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:43 pm
kfan12 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:48 pm

The repeat year was for all players not just the seniors
True. My thinking is that for most college FB players, and most college athletes in general, the likelihood of staying an extra year simply to take advantage of an extra year of eligibility dwindles the further we get from the COVID year of 2020-2021 when so many teams lost most of a season. I don't really have any anecdotal or statistical evidence to support that belief, it just seems logical to me that an awful lot of these folks don't want to stick past their senior year for an extra season of collegiate athletics...Those who are going pro have left; those who aren't feel the pull to move on.
0 x
BG
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

I hope Jeff stays forever. Among his many ongoing contributions:

A return to TOUGHNESS, and
RELENTLESS RECRUITING.

recent example:

3 star, 6' 2" 190 lb Jacksonville QB recruit Christopher Calhoun just flipped yesterday from navy to ARMY.
Hoorah.
2 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic