Well...I never saw that coming!

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
BEATNAVY09
Warrior

Re: Well...I never saw that coming!

Post by BEATNAVY09 »

Did Calhoun refuse to shake Monkens hand? I couldn’t tell on tv but a couple people pointed it out on a different game forum.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

ColdWarYushok87 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:58 pm
Oliphant wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:22 pm I believe this was the first win over a ranked AP opponent since the 1970s.
I don’t get why I keep seeing this. Didn’t we beat a ranked Navy team a few years back? Am I making that up?
I think Navy was ranked when we beat them in 2016. Perhaps it depends on what poll you use.
0 x
ArmorDude
Warrior

Post by ArmorDude »

BEATNAVY09 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:09 pm Did Calhoun refuse to shake Monkens hand? I couldn’t tell on tv but a couple people pointed it out on a different game forum.
No. They shook hands. Very quickly though. Not a lot of love there :-).
1 x
LoneStarPhan
Warrior

Post by LoneStarPhan »

I readily confess that I didn't see this coming either.

The Defense played well and the AF turnovers were huge. Army scored 17 in the first quarter and then the offense failed to generate another TD. I still have concerns about the offense but perhaps the total offensive package is still being introduced. I don't see how they can continue to have the quarterback carry the ball as often as he did against Air Force. Too many players are not being effectively used. Robinson had one fourth quarter reception. Buchanan had 3 carries, Udoh 9. Daily had 36. For most of the game, the only option was Daily keeping the ball. A package of plays with the QB under center would be valuable for short yardage situations, such as the 4th and 1 that was stopped cold with Daily running from the shotgun. Perhaps we see more diversity added to the offense in coming weeks, especially against Navy.

But it is hard to argue with a 20 point win over an 18+ point favorite. A great win over an Air Force team that has been pretty great until today.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

USMA76 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:55 pm I'm pretty sure we beat a one loss, ranked Navy team in 1996.
That is incorrect. Navy was 8-2 and unranked.
0 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

ColdWarYushok87 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:58 pm
Oliphant wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:22 pm I believe this was the first win over a ranked AP opponent since the 1970s.
I don’t get why I keep seeing this. Didn’t we beat a ranked Navy team a few years back? Am I making that up?
As I have said before, Navy was only ranked in the CFP Poll, not the AP Poll, at the time.
0 x
21-17!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic