Holy Cross Game Thread

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: Holy Cross Game Thread

Post by WrekDivr »

Got the W. Knew it would be tough, but I expected we would run it better.
0 x
2mint
Warrior

Post by 2mint »

Well an ugly W is still a W but we have a lot to fix.

1. Dumb penalties
2. Poor tackling
3. Poor execution on our pass plays

But some of our play calling was head scratching. 2 and 5 moving the ball on the run and we throw a screen behind the line of scrimmage??? Short yardage downs and we’re still running out of the shotgun behind Buchanan vs. giving him the ball. Holy Cross is an above average I-AA team but they outscored us in the 2nd half.
1 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

Survival win.

But nothing to be excited about.
0 x
21-17!
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

Dumb penalties cost us points at the goal line and led to multiple 3-outs.
Poor 3rd down defense allowed HC to hold onto the ball too much
Really bad execution on pass plays. See the missed pass to Ligenfelter when wide open. I suspect Harris will be given the opportunity to win the starting QB job this spring.

We need to clean all of that up to have any chance to beat Coastal and Navy.
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

Good to see the offense is really coming together.
0 x
dillondobies
Warrior

Post by dillondobies »

Lucky win against a better team. Holding on first down from the one is as dumb a penalty as can be. No sense changing quarterbacks at this point, but hope they do next season - Dailey is the poorest college passer I've seen in a long while. Hope they shift him to fullback next season.
0 x
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

We did a great job stopping ourselves in this game.

Drive 1 - 3 and out. 17 yards on the ground but a holding penalty meant we needed to go 20 for a 1st down. Stopped ourselves on that drive

Drive 2 - TD

Drive 3 - turnover on downs. We put the ball in the end zone on 1st down but a holding penalty took those points off the board. Stopped ourselves again.

Drive 4 - End of half

Drive 5 - 3 and out. Holding penalty forces another punt. Team ran for 15 yards on downs 1-3. Stopped ourselves.

Drive 6 - 1 first down. Punt. Only time HC stopped us today (as opposed to stopping ourselves)

Drive 7 - Long drive ending in a FG

Drive 8 - End of game

3 holding penalties stopped 3 drives including one taking points off the board. Those penalties also put our defense on the field for way too long. 71 plays on defense vs 47 on offense. We really need to clean up those penalties. Especially on offense. Doesn’t matter if we run the option from under center or shotgun if we keep committing penalties.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I don't know why we REALLY changed from the TO to the Gun Formation.
Coach said we could not run our offense with the cut block rule, so we changed our whole offense.
In my opinion, our offense has not improved one bit over the TO of a year ago.
Its the same with or without the cut block rule. The question is now, are we REALLY better off this year over last year? To me, it has not improved our offense at all.
I think we threw out the baby with the bath water on this change.
We STILL will wind up with a 6-6 record or maybe worse.
We changed our offense but we will not change our season record.
Was this change worth it?
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Lots to clean up, but a couple of bright spots, too:
- I liked seeing us run a real option play. It seemed to be there whenever we wanted it and we could have run it more often
- There were some creative plays, including the fake option and pass
- Going under center opened some opportunities. The pass the first time we got under center was there, we just missed it

I wonder how often we practice some of the pass plays. The one where Lingenfelter was wide open down the middle is an example. Daily threw it before JL turned and threw out to the right and JL turned to he left. If JL had turned to the right, it is 6. Not sure if it was the throw or the route, but the QB and TE were not on the same page.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

WrekDivr wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:26 pm Lots to clean up, but a couple of bright spots, too:
- I liked seeing us run a real option play. It seemed to be there whenever we wanted it and we could have run it more often
- There were some creative plays, including the fake option and pass
- Going under center opened some opportunities. The pass the first time we got under center was there, we just missed it

I wonder how often we practice some of the pass plays. The one where Lingenfelter was wide open down the middle is an example. Daily threw it before JL turned and threw out to the right and JL turned to he left. If JL had turned to the right, it is 6. Not sure if it was the throw or the route, but the QB and TE were not on the same page.
Not so sure. The ball was four yards wide right. Think it was uncatchable. Really poor throw. Daily is such an erratic passer.
0 x
BG
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic