95 team

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Army41
Warrior

95 team

Post by Army41 »

I have a friend who is really knowledgeable about football he was our second team QB in college, very smart wound up a grad assistant, then position coach , OC so knows his stuff . He became a huge Army fan after I took him to the 95 game with THE DRIVE , had a lot of valid points on this years team but we watched the o5 game on VCR and he posed a great question which you guys could answer much better than I .
Do you think the 95 team was more talented than this year’s team and what could Monken have done with that team?
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Re: 95 team

Post by PrideandDream »

More talented? Hmmm....interesting question.

This year's team has a good amount of talent. But I'd probably give the edge to the '95 team due to the O and D line. Plus pretty much all of the '96 was on that team as well. Mcada, Leshinski, Davis, Stover, Conroy, Cantalupe, King, Kotwica, Roberts, Klein, and many many others were all big contributors.

I think what people miss is that we were learning to compete and win. There was a massive difference in approach from 94 to 95. And we had some key circumstances that shaped our views about the game. The bad call vs Duke at home. Running out of time on the goal line vs UW. The tie to Rice. The 2 point play vs ND. The butt whipping we took at Air Force. The annihilation of Boston College in the rain at Chestnut Hill. And the Drive itself which ultimately proved to us that we could take control and win.

'95 was a really tough team. Some games we were absolutely in and came up short ND and UW. Other games we just didn't play to our potential like Rice, East Carolina, and Air Force. Notre Dame wound up in the Orange Bowl that year and was ranked 6th losing to #8 Florida State. Air Force made a bowl and so did East Carolina and Washington. That's back when there were still less than 20 bowl games.

I mean if I had to bet money I take the '95 team all day every day. But different systems makes it tough to compare. Of course we could cut block and we ran the wedge on Kickoff Return and busted it on Kickoff. We didn't have targeting penalties. And touchbacks were spotted on the 20 not the 25. There also was no instant replay in '95 and no overtime. So just from that perpsective I don't know if people realize how much the game has changed. The '95 team couldn't function under these new rules and vice versa for the '23 team.

PD
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

My special teams going way back to my youth were the 1945, 1946,1949, 1953, 1958, 1966, 1995,1996,1984
teams. Now that is a lot of teams but always you must have the idea that all of these teams are from a different era. The game is always changing, and you cannot compare one team from another so apart but I will say that any of these teams would have run off the field this team of 2023. Enough said.
With the NIL, the portal and the weight of some of these monsters we see on the field today, we look like kids out there compared to a team like LSU and the like.
Hey, but I did compare, didn't I I saw them all from my youth to an old man. Really 78 years worth.
Marty Maher liked the 1913 team in the movie, THE LONG GRAY LINE. Maybe if he was alive today we could take the 124 years of Army Football and pick out the beat one.
Hopefully, if we both make heaven, we will HAVE the debate. :) :)
0 x
Army41
Warrior

Post by Army41 »

I believe Tyrone Power as Marty also picked Wee Willie Keeler on his team not mentioning 41 or 35
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Here is a list of the Division 1-A (FBS) teams that the 1995 team beat

1. 4-8 Boston College (a 42 point butt kicking)
2. 5-6 Navy (by 1 point)

There you go. Thats the list. Can we please stop with this nonsense.
0 x
Army41
Warrior

Post by Army41 »

How many did they beat this year , and I’ll make sure before I ask a question I’ll run it by you to make sure it’s not nonsense
2 x
USMA76
Warrior

Post by USMA76 »

RABBLE wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:53 pm My special teams going way back to my youth were the 1945, 1946,1949, 1953, 1958, 1966, 1995,1996,1984
teams. Now that is a lot of teams but always you must have the idea that all of these teams are from a different era. The game is always changing, and you cannot compare one team from another so apart but I will say that any of these teams would have run off the field this team of 2023. Enough said.
With the NIL, the portal and the weight of some of these monsters we see on the field today, we look like kids out there compared to a team like LSU and the like.
Hey, but I did compare, didn't I I saw them all from my youth to an old man. Really 78 years worth.
Marty Maher liked the 1913 team in the movie, THE LONG GRAY LINE. Maybe if he was alive today we could take the 124 years of Army Football and pick out the beat one.
Rab,
Of the Army teams I've seen since 1972, I'd have to include 2018 as in the argument as the best. They won the CIC trophy, destroyed Houston in a bowl game by 50+ points (yeah, Houston was missing a couple of stars--don't care), and took Oklahoma (with Heisman winner Kyler Murray) to double overtime in Norman while having a TOP of 45 minutes. I was at that game and have never been prouder of Army football. I believe they'd beat any Army team since '72 and I'd take my chances with them against any SA team during that time frame--realizing the games against Air Force and Navy were one score games.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

USMA76 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:18 pm
RABBLE wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:53 pm My special teams going way back to my youth were the 1945, 1946,1949, 1953, 1958, 1966, 1995,1996,1984
Rab,
Of the Army teams I've seen since 1972, I'd have to include 2018 as in the argument as the best. They won the CIC trophy, destroyed Houston in a bowl game by 50+ points (yeah, Houston was missing a couple of stars--don't care), and took Oklahoma (with Heisman winner Kyler Murray) to double overtime in Norman while having a TOP of 45 minutes. I was at that game and have never been prouder of Army football. I believe they'd beat any Army team since '72 and I'd take my chances with them against any SA team during that time frame--realizing the games against Air Force and Navy were one score games.
A great topic. Best team I’ve seen was 2017 vs San Diego state plus the infamous 21-0 vs AF without attempting a pass. I think 2017 and 2018 fight it out for top 2
0 x
ArmorDude
Warrior

Post by ArmorDude »

Army41 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:45 pm I have a friend who is really knowledgeable about football he was our second team QB in college, very smart wound up a grad assistant, then position coach , OC so knows his stuff . He became a huge Army fan after I took him to the 95 game with THE DRIVE , had a lot of valid points on this years team but we watched the o5 game on VCR and he posed a great question which you guys could answer much better than I .
Do you think the 95 team was more talented than this year’s team and what could Monken have done with that team?
Ptobabky put Ronnie in the gun every play and lost A Lot more games.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic