Extra Points

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
rbmarmy
Warrior

Extra Points

Post by rbmarmy »

Can anyone truly justify the Navy's coached decision after the late touchdown. A tie would always keep them in game, A field goal no help, was he giving up on stamina of team???
0 x
ArmorDude
Warrior

Re: Extra Points

Post by ArmorDude »

rbmarmy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:28 am Can anyone truly justify the Navy's coached decision after the late touchdown. A tie would always keep them in game, A field goal no help, was he giving up on stamina of team???
Maybe he is somehow related to Charlie Weatherbie...
0 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Post by neumanna1 »

In the last few years the thinking has evolved on going for 2 when you're down 8. The idea being that if you're actually trying to win the game, rather than just tie it, you go for 2 there. That way you're either down 6, and then a TD and PAT gives you the lead, or if you don't convert it, you can still tie the game with a TD and a 2. If you have a competent offense, you really should be able to convert at least 1 of 2 attempts at a 2-point conversion. That's where the debate could come into play here, whether of not you consider the 2023 Navy offense competent.

I like the strategy in general, not sure it makes sense in this particular situation.
0 x
USMA76
Warrior

Post by USMA76 »

As an old guy, I go back to one of the greatest CFB games I've ever seen, Texas vs. Arkansas 1969 both undefeated in Fayetteville, #1 vs. #2. I don't remember exactly what happened during the season but Texas coach Darrell Royal told his team that if his team was ever down two TDs and they scored, they were going for two no questions asked. So, in the fourth period, down 14 points, the Longhorns get a TD and quickly make the two point conversion. They then score again and kick the extra point in the waning seconds to win the game. It was the most important win in their national championship season. Their bowl win was over a four loss ND team and, while close, was anti-climactic after the Arkansas scare.

I only mention this because that's what I thought of when Newberry went for the initial two pointer. I can't say that I agree with it just that I've seen it work in one of the biggest games ever played. Historically, I'm not sure the Razorbacks have ever recovered from that loss.
1 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Post by neumanna1 »

I think the most simple way to put it is that the best case scenario when you kick both XP's is you end up tied and going to Overtime, where you still may lose anyway. Going for 2 opens up the possibility of winning the game in regulation. Obviously it also creates a greater risk of losing in regulation as well though.
0 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

Maybe they were expecting another 10 yard cushion for their receivers. Can't say I blame them.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic