A potential way for Army to mitigate the portal

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
kfan12
Warrior

Re: A potential way for Army to mitigate the portal

Post by kfan12 »

On the other hand, most schools don't have a prep school essentially serving as a red-shirt season to provide a fifth year "in the system."
0 x
BG
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

No...other schools don't need a prep school because they can just have players do a redshirt year. The Prep School helps to mitigate that advantage that other schools have, but it still doesn't completely equalize for Army what other teams can do with redshirt years for players because players get poached from Prep School all the time...and players get a taste of Army life and realize it's not for them and depart, or realize the academics are too much and depart, etc.

To remain competitive, I think Army needs to keep looking at things on the margins where reasonable adjustments can be made. Army leadership needs to get ahead of this (and they may already be too late).
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

gabn92 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:34 am No...other schools don't need a prep school because they can just have players do a redshirt year. The Prep School helps to mitigate that advantage that other schools have, but it still doesn't completely equalize for Army what other teams can do with redshirt years for players because players get poached from Prep School all the time...and players get a taste of Army life and realize it's not for them and depart, or realize the academics are too much and depart, etc.

To remain competitive, I think Army needs to keep looking at things on the margins where reasonable adjustments can be made. Army leadership needs to get ahead of this (and they may already be too late).
After 2-3 years our AAC opponents will all learn our system of the TO or whatever we call it and that will hurt our chances of ever having a good season and the Transfer Portal will essentially kill us forever.
OK, I'm pessimistic but I don't think we can compete anymore once this portal becomes the true fabric of college football.
Who do I blame for this?
EVERYBODY. :cry:
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic