Sentimental

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
Warrior

Sentimental

Post by RABBLE »

I went to the Army-Loyola basketball at Christl this past Wednesday. Not many showed but my 3 sons wheeled me in and wheeled me out. I could have walked OK but much easier this way. Each and every time I visit the academy, I feel energixed and excited. A good game but the team faded at the end and lost. A young club with potential. I enjoyed it.
We went over to Michie where the Lacrosse team was practicing and stayed there for a bit. Then I said goodbye to the east stands which will be demolished this spring.
Memories for sue as I sat in those stands since the day it was built in 1962.
Before that I sat in those wooden bleachers on the east side years before the present stands.
Just about everything has changed up on the hill with the Kimsey and Randall Centers, the two press boxes, new construction on the north stands, the lower deck raised on the west stands, upper deck on the west side, no more parking on Howze Field, now the practice field, new lighting at the stadium and so much more changes since I first attended my first game there.
Even in those days, the team practiced down on the field next to the plain with a curtain around it to keep the practice really private, Watching Blaik go thru the team when the curtain was open.
You wouldn't know how different "up the hill " looked then and now.
Now the east stands are going down. Memories, man. Lots of them for this fan.
1 x
2mint
Warrior

Re: Sentimental

Post by 2mint »

Rab,

Too bad the team couldn’t pull one out for you! Yes, they’re a very young team with a new coach and lost a lot of talent last year after the coaching change.

I can only imagine the change you’ve seen on post through the years. Thanks for sharing your passion and memories with the board. Glad you had a great visit with your boys!
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Rab you are the greatest army fan of all-time. We are lucky ti have you on this board
2 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

wpgrad wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:50 pm Rab you are the greatest army fan of all-time. We are lucky ti have you on this board
Thank you so much wpgrad for those kind words. I really appreciate it. After all these many years, the one thing I could never grasp what a West Point grad went through with the curriculum and the extra work of competing on a interscholastic or sport team. I still can't even today. It takes a very SPECIAL person in the great land of our country to accomplish all these objectives. You did as so all of the Long Gray Line.
In my youth, I tried to gain acceptness to West Point butI did not make it way back when. I usd to say only two things kept me from being accepted.
1. PHYISCAL (spina biffeta Bad spine)
2. MENTAL ( I was only a B student- Not bad but not good enough).
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Army Football treated me wonderful. Over 200 games both home and away attended. A great ride, indeed.
Michie Stadium was in a sense, my second home. The Away games were not bad either. :)
0 x
Monkanfan
Warrior

Post by Monkanfan »

What a great post Rabble!

Got me to think back to my first games in 1961 vs Idaho (big win) and West Virginia (loss)..

1961 was the last year of the temporary east stands..all the players from that era were (and are) my heros...
Eckert, Casp, Stitchway, Champi, Parcells, Cook, Dietz, Stowers, Clark, Lindell, Jarvis, Steele, Bevens, Moore, Atha, Fink, Hines, Hall, Brundidge, Merriken, Roper, Mc Ada, Mayweather....

Had season tix from 1976-2010...moved to NC and still now manage to get to games at the Point...survived the Berry/Greenspan mess that begot Ross,Brock, Ellerson...

So thankful for Coach Monken...

Best games: 1976 vs Stanford....1976 vs AFA, 1978 vs AFA, 1984 vs AFA, 1985 vs BC, 1985 vs Memphis in a snow storm, 1988 vs Rutgers
An of course all Navy wins I saw in person...

Keep posting Rab...love the Army football history lessons
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Monkanfan wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:22 pm What a great post Rabble!

Got me to think back to my first games in 1961 vs Idaho (big win) and West Virginia (loss)..

1961 was the last year of the temporary east stands..all the players from that era were (and are) my heros...
Eckert, Casp, Stitchway, Champi, Parcells, Cook, Dietz, Stowers, Clark, Lindell, Jarvis, Steele, Bevens, Moore, Atha, Fink, Hines, Hall, Brundidge, Merriken, Roper, Mc Ada, Mayweather....

Had season tix from 1976-2010...moved to NC and still now manage to get to games at the Point...survived the Berry/Greenspan mess that begot Ross,Brock, Ellerson...

Best games: 1976 vs Stanford....1976 vs AFA, 1978 vs AFA, 1984 vs AFA, 1985 vs BC, 1985 vs Memphis in a snow storm, 1988 vs Rutgers

0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

RABBLE wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:16 pm

Army--51
Idaho- 7

Army 7-2-14-21---51
Idaho 7-0-0-0------7

Army scores:
Dick Eckert
Army safety
Al Rushatz
Joe Blackgrove
Joe Blackgrove
Ray Paske
Marty Ryan

Army scores
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Army--51
Idaho- 7

Army 7-2-14-21---51
Idaho 7-0-0-0------7

Army scores:
Dick Eckert
Army safety
Al Rushatz
Joe Blackgrove
Joe Blackgrove
Ray Paske
Marty Ryan

Army scores
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Army--51
Idaho- 7

Army 7-2-14-21---51
Idaho 7-0-0-0------7

Army scores:
Dick Eckert
Army safety
Al Rushatz
Joe Blackgrove
Joe Blackgrove
Ray Paske