Coach Monken once again mentioned as a possible candidate

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
OptionThis
Warrior

Coach Monken once again mentioned as a possible candidate

Post by OptionThis »

For a newly open head coaching job, this time at Boston College after their coach Jeff Hafley departed last week for the NFL. Both CBS Sports and Athlon mention JM , along with a bunch of others as alleged candidates for the job. Not saying its real, just reporting what's in parts of the media...Troy Calhoun also mentioned by The Athletic as a candidate...
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Re: Coach Monken once again mentioned as a possible candidate

Post by wpgrad »

OptionThis wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:41 pm For a newly open head coaching job, this time at Boston College after their coach Jeff Hafley departed last week for the NFL. Both CBS Sports and Athlon mention JM , along with a bunch of others as alleged candidates for the job. Not saying its real, just reporting what's in parts of the media...Troy Calhoun also mentioned by The Athletic as a candidate...
90% of the names tossed around on these things are agents pushing their clients and getting pressure for bigger contracts, more money for asst coaches, getting that new couch for the office, etc... or just writers pulling guy's names out of thin air.

There is a reason why Monken hasn't left. And coach Ken only got 1 legit offer in all his years. And calhoun has been there at AF forever. Fan bases don't wanna hire the army guy who runs that 1960's offense and didn't we beat them this year and look at those soldiers in the gray stuff.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I would hope that Troy would take the job. It would get him out of our hair. Too much bad blood between him and our guy. Better off Calhoun leave.
0 x
ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

The only real failure of the Monken era is that an heir apparent hasn’t been established in 10 years. If Calhoun leaves Air Force has about 3-4 guys that could seamlessly take over. Navy had Newberry sitting there to take over. If and when Monken does leave who does Army turn to? Bohannon? And turn the Army-Navy game into a Kennesaw State reunion? Bateman? It’s disappointing nobody has been groomed to take over. Perhaps it could be Worley in a few years.
2 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

Why would BC hire a guy who couldn't beat them (even Ellerson did that) and is trending down from his peak?

BC needs a home run hire. They have a significant chance of not making the final cut if there is a breakaway.
0 x
21-17!
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

All this does not really interest us because we are locked in from now on playing the same teams on a bi-yearly basis. The era of excitement on who will be playing from now on is over. To me that is a sad thing.

With all these changes in coaching, transfer portal and the NIL plus conference alignment remains just too confusing for many of us. College football will not be the same anymore because of it.
Frankly, I am not as excited as much for a new season to begin and IT IS NOT BECAUSE OF MY AGE !!!
Can't we all just slow down some and just enjoy what we now have or used to have?
I think MONEY got in the way. It always does.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

O’Brien to BC job. Wow. Color me shocked that joe smith at ihaveablogonbc.com was wrong

As said before, agents get guys nanes out there. And writers reference each other as a source and consider it valid. Was monken called and talked to? Probably. But many ADs do this mostly to ensure they arent making a mistake with the 2-3 guys they actually want. Monken was never a serious option
0 x
monkensminion
Warrior

Post by monkensminion »

Always a bridesmaid…………
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I know Coach Monken wants a good Power 5 job. We all know that but after his changing of his offense this past season and 2 consecutive 6-6 seasons does cast a dim light on his quest for such a job. That is a tough reality I guess.
I love our coach to be a man of high ability and expertise. I love the way he has handled everything he does for his team and the academy itself for the past 9 years. I hope he retires here and am excited that someday day he could pass Red Blaik in total wins. He has a shot at something I would love to see even though Blaik is my all-time hero as our Army coach.
A new era today of course, but it would be fantastic if he can stay around WP long enough for him to take a shot at it.
I am proud of my picture with coach as my avatar on this forum. It is an honor and a privilege to have talked to him at an Army Football outing and dinner a couple of years back and have that picture with him in my collection.
1 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic