Question

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Army41
Warrior

Question

Post by Army41 »

Does anyone remember the substitution rules in the 60’s , I know in the 63 game Staubach only played offense and I believe Rollie and some others both on Army and Navy went both ways I’m trying to find what the rule was , how many players you could sub and how many went both ways , I’m hoping my fellow Jersyian Rabble could clear it up , thanks
0 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Re: Question

Post by neumanna1 »

I think during that period things changed almost yearly so this isn't likely to help, but in the book I read on the '58 team, I think if you came out of the game, you couldn't go back in for the rest of the quarter at that point. So you'd maybe take your QB out if there were 5 minutes left in the quarter and you were going on Defense, but if you got the ball back before the Quarter was up, he couldn't go right back in.
0 x
Army41
Warrior

Post by Army41 »

Thanks appreciate the help , I was at the 63 game and it still makes me vomit , but I know the Navy fullback played mlb and I’m sure Rollie played QB and safety I know Staubach didn’t play D
0 x
coach wyatt
Warrior

Post by coach wyatt »

In 1963 a player could re-enter once in a period. Platoon football returned in 1965. ("The Anatomy of a Game" by David M. Nelson, 1994)
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

neumanna1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:11 am I think during that period things changed almost yearly so this isn't likely to help, but in the book I read on the '58 team, I think if you came out of the game, you couldn't go back in for the rest of the quarter at that point. So you'd maybe take your QB out if there were 5 minutes left in the quarter and you were going on Defense, but if you got the ball back before the Quarter was up, he couldn't go right back in.
THE RULES DID CHANGE QUITE A BIT THOSE YRARS BUT YOUR EXPLANATION IN THE 50'S IS CORRECT. BASICALLY, ONE COULD NOT REENTER THE GAME IN THE SAME QUARTER.

Another rule was surprisingly late in coming. Helmets were optional in the 1930's and in the pros, faceguards also were optional with a grandfather rule. Those still playing when the rule was changed to a faceguard, you did not have to wear one. Bobby Layne of the Detroit Lions in the early 50's was the last player who did not wear a faceguard. Watching on my old black and white TV back in those days, he really stood out among all the other players who were wearing one.

Anybody remember the old Washington Redskins back then and their TEE PEE Band who played during the games? A bunch of guys and gals sitting in the upper deck playing their hearts out rooting for their favorite team and dressed in Indian attire Great fun.

Today? Hell, they probably would be arrested! A lot of fun has been taken out of everything these days. Damn shame.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Army41 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:27 pm Thanks appreciate the help , I was at the 63 game and it still makes me vomit , but I know the Navy fullback played mlb and I’m sure Rollie played QB and safety I know Staubach didn’t play D
I was at the 1959,60,61, and 62 games but could not make that 1963 game. I yelled louder as I ever had in my life when the clock ran out before Army had the chance to run a one more play .

The TV didn't yell back at me !! I was so damn mad, I could have busted up my one and only TV set but my cooler head prevailed.

Rollie Stichweh was forever more remembered for not only his great play that day, but he was the very first player to score a TD on INSTANT REPLAY. Lindsey Nelson on the call, who explained that STICHWEH" did not score a second time. It was a repeat showing of the score he just made!!!"

I jumped off my chair saying, "What the hell is this all about? Never heard of an INSTANT REPLAY before!!
Now there is an INSTANT REPLAY on every down.

My first TV show was the World Heavyweight title fight between Joe Louis and Tamy Mauriello on September 18, 1946 at the old Madison Square Garden in NYC with Louis on the KO in Round 1. I saw it on my dad's first TV set that he had just bought with a beautiful cabinet and bad reception on a 10 inch screen.
Our ariel was on the roof getting the picture broadcast from the top of the Empire State Building. 60 miles away but we still got the picture. Don't forget, this was 1946.. We were the thide person to get atV. The forst person was an RCS executive so you could see the reason he had one.
The second guy beat us to his tv by a couple of weeks.
It cost my dad over $1,000. In today's money , "slightly" more. :) Boy oh boy. did we have some "guests" for quite awhile to watch our new television. Great days back then.
We even had a "bubble"(magnifier) attached to the front of the screen to make the picture bigger. We also got a rotator on the aeriel so you could turn it to Philadelphia to get their couple of stations.
I saw some of the 1947 Army games on that TV too. I've seen a "few more" games after that. :lol:
0 x
Army41
Warrior

Post by Army41 »

I remember screaming at the the end I still have the SI featuring that game you can see Rollie looking at the ref saying he couldn’t hear and the ref afterwards said I couldn’t hear him asking for a noise time out , dumb thing to say , Rollie was incredible scored the second TD , scored the 2 point conversion, recovered the onside kick led them down to the 2 and I know he would have taken it in behind Ken Waldrop , I still want to vomit. They played Texas the next year who I believe were defending national champs they lost by a small margin but after the game St. Darryl said Rollie was the best player in the country
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic