CFP and the Army-Navy Game

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
3seconddelay
Warrior

CFP and the Army-Navy Game

Post by 3seconddelay »

Finally a decision. Army runs the table and gets the 12th spot. It could happen… https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footba ... 09120.html
1 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Re: CFP and the Army-Navy Game

Post by neumanna1 »

I guess this is the resolution that makes the most sense. It's primarily a theoretical exercise since either of them right now is probably only in contention for that spot with either 0 or 1 loss before the A-N game. The only way it would end up a "problem" would be if for example a 12-0 Army team grabbed that 12 spot and then turned around and lost to 3-8 Navy a few days later.

As for the Bowl games being moved up thing, I really think that's less of a problem. If I understand correctly, it would be some of the Bowl Game that are currently played the following week. If you look at the bowl games played that weekend, none of them are going to significantly dent the ratings or coverage of Army-Navy. Even if a game went head-to-head with it, which is doubtful, a 6-6 CUSA team vs. a 7-5 Sun Belt team in the Myrtle Beach Bowl is really not much of a competition against Army-Navy live on CBS from a sold-out NFL Stadium.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Who knows what college football and superleagues might look like in 5 years.

But....As I have said before, if things tend to simmer down on the realignment front and there isn't this massive super-league and all that stuff, I don't see anyway the A-N game is going to stay in its current spot.

Because the second navy is 11-0 heading into the game and lets say they are playing a really good 9-3 Army team, and so the CFP leaves them out because they think Navy could lose....ESPECIALLY if that 11-0 Army or Navy team happened to beat Oklahoma or notre dame or whoever.....its over
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Much Ado About Nothing.
Cross that bridge when it ever happens. I don't think though that both Army and Navy will ever be that good even in a 12 team Playoff. With the transfer portal and the NIL firmly entrenched in college football, it remains less likely than ever.
0 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Post by 3seconddelay »

RABBLE wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm Much Ado About Nothing.
Cross that bridge when it ever happens. I don't think though that both Army and Navy will ever be that good even in a 12 team Playoff. With the transfer portal and the NIL firmly entrenched in college football, it remains less likely than ever.
Oh ye of little faith. I posit that if any year the chances of it happening are better in 2024 than they’ve been since 1958. They’ve been sub-minuscule in the 4 team CFP era as an Independent. When an undefeated P5 (technically P4) team doesn’t make, it ain’t happening.

Now in a G5 conference with a 12 team playoff, it’s a different story. It’s a 5 plus 7 playoff system. ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and SEC champs auto qualify. The 5th spot is for highest ranked champ of other conferences. Next 7 spots are based on rankings. The four first round byes are for highest ranking conference champs.
If Army wins the AAC as the highest rank team of the other conferences it’s possible. They would also probably need to beat ND to get that ranking but not necessarily. The portal is a double-edged sword. It is going to be bat crap crazy this year. Teams can poach talent sure but at the same time potential power house teams can be devastated. There’s no cohesion. Teams that had it can be sunk by a highly talented locker room Prima Donna. Army has Team and Brotherhood in spades. 2024 is the wild Wild West of College Football as it moves into this new future. Army has the gun slingers. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but you have to have a little hope and optimism. What happened to yours Rab. The 100% Debbie Downer syndrome can’t be healthy.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic