New Rules by NCAA

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

New Rules by NCAA

Post by armyhockeyfan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:50 pm

It looks like the NCAA is making steps toward removing the kickoff from football. If you scroll you will see other new rules. One says that players cannot block below the waist beyond 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Army's offense seems to have a lot of the those types of blocks. Does anyone think this will have a notable effect on Army's offense?

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... 49464.html

gabn92
New Recruit

Re: New Rules by NCAA

Post by gabn92 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am

Seems like it is just the o-line that blocks like that at the line of scrimmage. Don’t think it should impact much if at all.

Think we’d hear coaches complaining if they thought it would hurt them.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Can't the damn NCAA stay out of eliminating the kickoff? The kickoff is the most exciting play in the game. Start from the 20-25, the game becomes like a scrimmage or a glorified version of the spring game which is a joke in the first place.
It 'aint worth the"'price" of free admission.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:07 pm

You want player safety? Eliminate the helmet of today which is a weapon, go back to leather helmets and teach the players how to tackle without using the head as a spear.
You want radical helmet rules? Bring back leather.
Go ahead and laugh but I believe that would work.
What comes around, goes around.

Armyfan
New Recruit

Post by Armyfan » Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Rab, I agree with you re: the helmet. Take away the cage and reinstate the single Plastic bar to provide some protection for the nose and teeth. But I disagree on the kick-off. It's the most dangerous play of all and it doesn't count half the time; the ubiquitous "block in the back" wipes out most of them. And don't forget the Rutgers game of a few years back. That KO wasn't worth it.

Armyfan
New Recruit

Post by Armyfan » Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Rab, I agree with you re: the helmet. Take away the cage and reinstate the single Plastic bar to provide some protection for the nose and teeth. But I disagree on the kick-off. It's the most dangerous play of all and it doesn't count half the time; the ubiquitous "block in the back" wipes out most of them. And don't forget the Rutgers game of a few years back. That KO wasn't worth it.

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Sat May 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Personally, the kickoff is the best play in the game and most exciting. True, it is dangerous but so is the game itself. You can get hurt on any play in the game.
You scrub the game clean of all possible injuries, you wont have a game. You might as well just have flag football and that is not football. Football was never intended to be a basketball game where there should be no contact at all. That was the way it was supposed to be, although that is a joke in itself.
That is why , in football, you play the game with body protection. In basketball, the game is played with a T shirt and short pants.
It would be like hockey if they eliminated checking,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic